Accidental multiple acceptances after May 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone
I've been pondering on this question for a while and just had to throw it out there. I currently hold 2 acceptances, and I well understand I have to pick only one school before May 15. However, the problem is that I'm waitlisted by a bunch of schools, and what happens if one of these schools accepts me after May 15? How much time do I get until I have to make a decision and notify the school? Also will I be considered holding "multiple acceptances" during this decision-making time? I just want to make sure I don't violate the AAMC rules so that I wont be stripped of all my acceptances somehow.:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

It is not a problem. This happens every year at every school. Usually, the school that accepts you off the wait list will give you two weeks or so to make a decision, so if you decide to go to the school that waitlisted you, you just inform the school that you planned to attend, and all is good. Not a problem. That is how the process works, and everyone understands it.

This is just my interpretation of how it will work...though hopefully someone can chime in with a more concrete answer:

The May 15th deadline is for ACCEPTANCES prior to that date. THerefore, you cannot hold more than one acceptance before May 15th. A waitlist is not an acceptance so you are fine.

If you hear about a waitlist after May 15th I am assuming you are given time to decide between that waitlist and your acceptance...though at that point the idea SHOULD be that you are still waiting on waitlists because you prefer them over the school you accepted. If the school you are accepted to is perfect, no reason to wait for a waitlist.

However I don't know if there is a strict "time limit" on deciding on a waitlist after May 15th...at some point you need to have just one school because you can't be in two places at once :) (and they would both at some point start asking for you to pay them...)

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not a problem. This happens every year at every school. Usually, the school that accepts you off the wait list will give you two weeks or so to make a decision, so if you decide to go to the school that waitlisted you, you just inform the school that you planned to attend, and all is good. Not a problem. That is how the process works, and everyone understands it.

And then you just tell the other school you changed your mind I assume?

from aamc website

1. After May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each school implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools. These procedures:
    1. May require applicants to:
      1. Respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks.
      2. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
    2. Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.
    3. Should permit accepted applicants to remain on other schools' waiting lists and to withdraw if they later receive an acceptance offer from a preferred school.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/applicants.htm

should be helpful links for you:)