Accidentally screwed myself over..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daballr07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding my current situation. I currently have a 3.54C gpa and I am a senior (will be applying this summer). I totally forgot to drop a 2 credit course this semester. I have a 0 in it because I had planned on dropping it but I had completely forgot I was in it until like 3 days after the dropping deadline. There is no way I can drop it (dean wouldnt budge even though i explained to her I am taking mcat, researching, working, taking classes). I tried to ask the professor for help but he has yet to respond to my email. So i am wondering, how bad is it if i have a 0 in a Packaging course (im a human bio major, it was just so i could get 12 credits this semester for a full-time student status)?

I had a 0 in a course my freshman year which I retook but since then I had worked my butt off and I honestly hate to see my hard earned GPA go down because of a careless mistake.. Wish I could go back and change it so bad but theres nothing I can do at this point..

Thanks in advance

Due to the fact that this is in a class that is going to be an obvious 'filler' class, I doubt that it will be a total deal breaker. It is going to be awkward explaining it though, if you get asked about it in an interview. Taking a class with the intent to drop is a bad plan all around; forgetting to drop that class just makes you look disorganized. As far as what you can do now, you should find out if your school has some sort of a committee that deals with drops as an alternative to the dean. If that committee exists, write them a letter and politely ask them to drop it for you. If there is no other chance to drop it, you're just going to have to ignore it and hope it doesn't come back to bite you.

You have half a semester left, right? So it wouldn't be a zero if you started work now, more like 50%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you gotta stick it out. It cannot have too significant of an impact on your gpa if it's only 2 credits...

Can you still take a "W" ? Many schools allow a W up until the week before final exams.

A W looks bad, but it looks better than an F.

My school lets students take a W really close to finals time so you can always do that. If not, can you change grading option to P/F instead of letter grades? You can still work hard the rest of this time and get a P.

I'd definitely try to take a W if you can.That shouldn't impact your candidacy at all, whereas an F will tank your GPA pretty quickly.

I seriously have nightmares about this situation (and I'm not even in school right now). I forget I am in a class until the day before the final, and then fail the course because I didn't do any of the work

Back to the OP, if you can take a W, then do that. It will look much better than an F on your transcript

I totally forgot to drop a 2 credit course this semester. I have a 0 in it

OMG! This scenario has been a recurring nightmare of mine for YEARS. I haven't "chosen" my own courses for the past 9 years and I still wake up in a sweat on occasion, but then realize I'm (1) way too anal to let something like that happen and (2) not in school anymore.

Here's the thing. A zero/F is concerning; however, your reason for getting the F is even more concerning. It implies that you are careless...not a characteristic you want in a physician. Hopefully the professor will let you do some make-up work so you'll get credit.

Thanks for your responses everyone.

There are only 2 exams in the course and one had already passed, so the best I can get is a 50%. Cut-off for a 1.0 is 60%.

Prof has yet to respond to any of my emails.. And the dean wouldnt let me take a W or incomplete.

I am going to still try and keep at it with him until he responds (otherwise I will figure out how to find his office/room).

I know it was careless :/ but it happened.. It is comforting to know that its jsut a filler class and it has nothing to do with my major, but i never get below a 2.5 unless its on purpose.. and that grade kinda says otherwise :(

Just go talk in person...

Just wanted to add that this situations has been a recurring nightmare of mine too! Not so much any more but I would have it every now and then while in undergrad--worst nightmare ever. Looking back, its kind of a ridiculous thing to have a nightmare about.

Just go talk in person...

QFT.

The professor will probably be keen on some way you can make "reparations". Just make sure to stroke their ego and not sound entitled. You're relying on them to bend their rules after all

I seriously have nightmares about this situation (and I'm not even in school right now). I forget I am in a class until the day before the final, and then fail the course because I didn't do any of the work

You just described my recurring nightmares to a T.
Damn.

That happened to me Freshman year, when I thought a 1 credit seminar class I signed up for was canceled. I saw a big F on my transcript. Luckily they let me take a W. I got into med school and I haven't been asked out it ever.

Thanks for your responses everyone.

There are only 2 exams in the course and one had already passed, so the best I can get is a 50%. Cut-off for a 1.0 is 60%.

Prof has yet to respond to any of my emails.. And the dean wouldnt let me take a W or incomplete.

I am going to still try and keep at it with him until he responds (otherwise I will figure out how to find his office/room).

I know it was careless :/ but it happened.. It is comforting to know that its jsut a filler class and it has nothing to do with my major, but i never get below a 2.5 unless its on purpose.. and that grade kinda says otherwise :(

The dean and the prof might budge if you go talk to them in person. Its a lot easier to say no via email than to someone's face.

Maybe the prof will let you retake the exam you missed? I can't remember if you said this was your last semester or not, but if you say you're willing to re-enroll in the class next semester (stressing pay for the class again) to make sure the class doesn't negatively affect your med school applications, then maybe the prof will cave and let you take the exam you missed (even though that won't be that fun to do, but at least you won't have an f).

Can you switch the class to pass/not pass? A np isn't great, but at least it won't hurt your gpa. There might also be some sort of official appeals process through acedemic affairs or the student union or whatever deparment.

Btw, also used to have those same nightmares all the time.