According to US news and World Report Best 10 jobs for 2014- where does Optometry rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 10 ? Nope. Article goes on and lists top 100 best jobs for 2014. Where did Optometry rank?
NO WHERE. Not even mentioned. Pharmacy, dentistry physician all top 10.

Again, more schools that have opened past several years up leads to accepted classrooms filled with maximum capacity which leads to saturated OD's everywhere across the country which leads to stagnant and even lower salaries from the past.

I was surprised Optometry did not make even the top 100.
We are drifting into a dismal ...........................\

Any thought?

Members don't see this ad.

It's either bundled into physician or they were unaware that it existed. The end.

Top 10 ? Nope. Article goes on and lists top 100 best jobs for 2014. Where did Optometry rank?

Again, more schools that have opened past several years up leads to accepted classrooms filled with maximum capacity which leads to saturated OD's everywhere across the country which leads to stagnant and even lower salaries from the past.

Any thought?

IMHO, if pharmacy made it into the top 10, then our profession should not be too separated from it. They face the same issues except they hear patient complaints all day long, and physicians definitely don't respect their opinion on a consult if they're working retail.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The inclusion of pharmacy so high on that list hints that the authors did little research. This paper by Dan Brown:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3687123/

hints at some of the very real issues pharmacy is encountering. I cannot speak on the economic future of optometry, but I wouldn't be worried about that US news report.

Reactions: 1 user

Any thought?

Optometry used to be in the top 100 for the last few years in the US News report. Maybe because of too many graduates, high student debt, and stagnant income all contribute to the reason why it is no longer a top 100 job. Also the field is changing. Opticals are becoming "showrooms" for online eyeglass retailers and vision plans are only paying the same amount they did twenty years ago.

On the bright side, this report may discourage some of those new OD schools from opening up again.

The optometry that students are envisioning for themselves is like a still-living, beached whale. The students are the barnacles on its skin. That's pretty much why it's not in the top 100.

These US News "Best Jobs" articles are just fluff pieces by people who have very little idea about what is going on in any of the listed careers.

Reactions: 2 users
These US News "Best Jobs" articles are just fluff pieces by people who have very little idea about what is going on in any of the listed careers.
Lol. Is "Magazine Editor and Writing Staff of UW News" in the top 100 anywhere? Or the more broader term, "journalist"?

good,I cannot speak on the economic future of optometry, but I wouldn't be worried about that US news report.thanks
QwqhZC

Optometry was in the top ten in the 1980's and has sunk lower and lower on the list ever since. What does that tell you?