Accounting major to PsyD applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IronheadJack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'll try and keep the rundown concise. I got a BA in social sciences a few years ago that didn't do much for me other than open up doors to federal gov't jobs, which I turned down. I went back to school 2 years ago and began my 2nd BA this time in accounting, I'm in my final semester....and really don't enjoy accounting but at this point might as well finish and get the degree.

My passion/interest was always psychology, as a young guy I was turned off by spending years in grad school, I wanted to make money now. As I've gotten older I realize you have to do what you are passionate about to enjoy life.

Long story short, I know I am under-qualified to even apply to Psyd programs, how do I fix this? Should I try and enter a Masters program? Should I try and find a job/volunteer opportunity in the psych field? Should I focus on takinge the GRE and a bunch of psych courses at my local community college?

Any guidance is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I'll try and keep the rundown concise. I got a BA in social sciences a few years ago that didn't do much for me other than open up doors to federal gov't jobs, which I turned down. I went back to school 2 years ago and began my 2nd BA this time in accounting, I'm in my final semester....and really don't enjoy accounting but at this point might as well finish and get the degree.

My passion/interest was always psychology, as a young guy I was turned off by spending years in grad school, I wanted to make money now. As I've gotten older I realize you have to do what you are passionate about to enjoy life.

Long story short, I know I am under-qualified to even apply to Psyd programs, how do I fix this? Should I try and enter a Masters program? Should I try and find a job/volunteer opportunity in the psych field? Should I focus on takinge the GRE and a bunch of psych courses at my local community college?

Most programs require certain psychology courses or minimum number of credits or at least they recommend them for you to be competitive, so you be able to get away with just taking some post-bacc courses if your GPAs have been good so far. More importantly, you'll need to get some substantial research experience to make you competitive, in terms of length, demonstrable skills, and productivity.

Furthermore, reconsider only applying to PsyD programs. There are some good university-based ones (e.g. Rutgers and Baylor), but the ones at professional schools and other lackluster institutions are expensive and don't have good outcomes. The former require just as much research training if you are avoiding PhD programs, because you dislike doing research.

Hello all,

A. Did you take psych courses for the BA? That would be one thing. Having a degree in a different field doesn't have to be anything bad and can actually be a huge asset, but what is a rougher sell is trying to say "I want to do this" but not to have any courses showing you've learned about psych.
B. I'd apply the accounting knowledge you now have to the costs of PsyD programs that would admit someone who is "under-qualified." That should probably help you realize you should take those off the table. I'd go for masters programs.
There are LOTS of ways to sell a background in financial knowledge as a benefit to a career in psych. I've sat on several financial planning dissertations and they apply psych stuff all the time.

Reactions: 1 user