Accreditation for a new school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waysensei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear forum fiends,

I am a first year medical student at a new D.O. school. The school is 2 years old now and therefore has not graduated its first class yet. I know that to be accredited, it must graduate a class.

My question is, what is required for a class to "graduate." That is, what is the minimum pass rate on boards, etc. that is necessary? I would like to know this so that I know what should be expected for my class in order for us to ensure accreditation.

Thanks,
Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that provisional accreditation means that if you pass your classes and boards, then you get the degree and are recognized as a physician. If the SCHOOL can't get enough students to graduate, then they don't get accreditation.

DO-online.org has a section on accreditation, check it out there or call the AOA.

I would like to know this so that I know what should be expected for my class in order for us to ensure accreditation.
pass boards and graduate, that's really all that's expected. don't worry, your dean will ensure your class will have completed the required credits according to AOA guidelines for accreditation....it's a lot of economics at stake and the higher powers that be won't let that go down the drain.