Accredition Status of Touro University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anybody know what it means that acceretion status of Touro university is Candidate and it is not fully acceredited yet? Does it mean that graduates won't receive a doctor of pharmacy degree? what is the difference between full acceredition and candidate status?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know what it means that acceretion status of Touro university is Candidate and it is not fully acceredited yet? Does it mean that graduates won't receive a doctor of pharmacy degree? what is the difference between full acceredition and candidate status?

Candidate = all the rights and privileges of a fully accredited program (PharmD degree upon graduation, authorization to sit for NAPLEX, authorization to practice in all 50 states in the US).

Schools are advanced to full accreditation only after their first class graduates. For all intents and purposes.... consider candidate = fully accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard from a friend that touro is now fully accredited tho....but not positive

Touro-CA College of Pharmacy has been granted Full Accreditation from ACPE as of July 2009.

Here is the link to the accreditation website from ACPE
http://www.acpe-accredit.org/shared_info/accredHistory.asp?degreeid=35&entity=12

And here is the link to various other Pharm.D institution accreditation from ACPE, scroll down to CA and take a look.
http://www.acpe-accredit.org/shared_info/programsSecure.asp#ca Follow the link, click on Students, then Programs, then type in the webcode, then you can see the list.

Thanks for all the replies. I have seen ACPE website too, all other pharmacy schools in California are have full acceredition except Touro which has candidate status and CNCP which has precandidate status. So what is the difference between candidate status of Touro university and full accredition of other universities like western? That's what I want to know about. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks for all the replies. I have seen ACPE website too, all other pharmacy schools in California are have full acceredition except Touro which has candidate status and CNCP which has precandidate status. So what is the difference between candidate status of Touro university and full accredition of other universities like western? That's what I want to know about. Does anyone know the answer?

er? ACPE site says Touro is fully accredited, see screenshot below.

and there is no functional difference (like i said above), the only difference is a candidate school didn't graduate its first class yet, a fully accredited one already did.

Picture1.png
[/IMG]

Yay great news! I was wondering the same thing = ) I am from Florida, but I am going to apply to a few of the Northern Cal. schools as well = ) The more the merrier right?

Touro is the school in the bay area (Vallejo) correct? Does anyone happen to know what their preference is for out of state applicants? I am a female, out of state, and will be completing my MBA degree this year at a school here in Fl. Just wanted to get an idea of what my chances look like over there in California.

Thank you!

Yay great news! I was wondering the same thing = ) I am from Florida, but I am going to apply to a few of the Northern Cal. schools as well = ) The more the merrier right?

Touro is the school in the bay area (Vallejo) correct? Does anyone happen to know what their preference is for out of state applicants? I am a female, out of state, and will be completing my MBA degree this year at a school here in Fl. Just wanted to get an idea of what my chances look like over there in California.

Thank you!

Since it's a private school, there'll be no preference given to CA residents, so essentially the only drawback for you will be the cost of flight+hotel for the interview.

Yeah, I'd suggest a hotel outside of vallejo...it's ghetto.

ah, who am i kidding, it's HELLA freakin' ghetto, get out of there before the sun sets!

Confettiflyer:

LOL @ your comment... but in all seriousness... how bad is it? I've lived in Miami for 4 years, so I can deal with ghetto, but I am desperately trying to shy away from schools in questionable neighborhoods.

This may sound like a clueless question, but how different is northern Cal. from southern Cal? No matter where I go I know there are going to be shady places nearby, but I'm not really a fan of places that are right in the heart of them.

I know a girl who is at UC Santa Cruz, and I try to get information from her, but she is also a Floridian so I'm not sure how much she knows about the state.

Santa Cruz is in the middle of the state more or less, near Salinas and Monterey, so overall a decent place.

There is no real difference between Northern Cal and Southern Cal in actuality... It's mostly an attitude thing. I've lived in both sides and there are bad areas in both (and Stockton, the most dangerous city in the nation, is happily situated in northern Cal). Vallejo is pretty nappy, but the same could be said for any city with a metro airport, IMO.

UCSD, UCSF, and USC are all in very nice areas, and UoP even though it's in Stockton, is in a nice-er area of it.

Basically, if you keep to yourself and aren't stupid, you'll be fine.

Since it's a private school, there'll be no preference given to CA residents, so essentially the only drawback for you will be the cost of flight+hotel for the interview.

I would say probably 90% of our class is from California with the majority coming from the UC system.

And there should be no confusion about it, Touro CA is fully accredited.

Oh, and yes, Vallejo is ghetto.

[...] and USC are all in very nice areas [...]

Are you kidding me? Health science campus for USC is in the freakin' ghetto next to the juvenile court by Lincoln Heights. Holy canoli, I turned in my transcripts in person to USC and was glad to be out of there. Same goes for their main campus (where I took the PCAT/partied as an undergrad).

Tinkerbell22 said:
LOL @ your comment... but in all seriousness... how bad is it? I've lived in Miami for 4 years, so I can deal with ghetto, but I am desperately trying to shy away from schools in questionable neighborhoods.

Vallejo is bad in general, the campus itself is on a converted naval shipyard and is nothing to write home about. I'd suggest living in pockets around American Canyon, Benicia, or Fairfield and commuting the 15-20 minutes in.

Just be out by night time and do all your exploring during the day. I usually do some shopping in the late mornings/early afternoon and it's fine...just stay along the main roads (it's either Sonoma Blvd. or Broadway that most of the services/food places are on). I can't exactly redline neighborhoods for you, but you'll know when you drive through.

For nightlife, you're gonna want to go to SF anyway which is 45mins away, no need to hang around the Valley of the Hoes after nightfall.

I guess I'm comparing "bad" to Baquba and Tikrit.

Iraq makes even Stockton look like the Hamptons.

okay okay i concede that the threat of IED's far outweigh that of your local ghetto mugger.