Accrued Leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an LES for "accrued leave" that I wasn't expecting. Does one accrue leave during HPSP? I'm slightly confused as to why I got this, and I just want to make sure it's actually mine before I spend it.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an LES for "accrued leave" that I wasn't expecting. Does one accrue leave during HPSP? I'm slightly confused as to why I got this, and I just want to make sure it's actually mine before I spend it.

Have you done an active duty tour in the last few months? As I recall I used to get one of these for 2-4 days of accrued leave after each tour.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each time you do an ADT whether it's for school orders, OIS, or whatever, you will build up a couple of days leave. This is because you were technically active for those 45 days. Apparently HPSP does not like you to have any of those days of leave on the books, so you will get money for those built up leave days. It is similar to when you separate from the service, you will get money for any unused leave. It will be at whatever your base pay per day X the number of days. It should be a couple hundred bucks. It is free to spend.

What are school orders? Orders ordering you to go to USUHS? Orders to go to an ADT as an HPSP student? What are they?
School orders are orders usually taken during 2nd and 3rd year (sometimes between 1st and 2nd as well) that allow you to technically be assigned to your local recruiting station, or whatever, for your 45 days ADT time. This will allow you to stay near your "school" so you can study for boards. So, yes, you basically get paid to sit home and study :).

School orders are orders usually taken during 2nd and 3rd year (sometimes between 1st and 2nd as well) that allow you to technically be assigned to your local recruiting station, or whatever, for your 45 days ADT time. This will allow you to stay near your "school" so you can study for boards. So, yes, you basically get paid to sit home and study :).

I wish I'd done that instead of that Medicine Sub-I ADT I did in May of my 4th year to get my last ADT in.

I wish I'd done that instead of that Medicine Sub-I ADT I did in May of my 4th year to get my last ADT in.
Yeah, but just think of all those cases of alcohol detox you would have missed out on. Plus, nothing beats the smell of adult human feces in the morning during rounds. ;)

I'm Army so you can take this FWIW.

When I was on HPSP I accrued leave for each of my ADT's just as everyone else. I contacted the finance office at Ft. Sam and asked them to cash it out. They told me if I didn't do this it would eventually disappear. On my next stipend deposit, there was some extra $$$.

I may have done an unnecessary step in contacting finance as I might have gotten the money anyway, but it might be worth a phone call to the finance office that handles HPSP students for your branch of service.

From page 51 of the Navy HPSP Handbook:

"You will accrue four days of leave while on AT. Since your assignment is designed to accomplish a great deal in a short time, you will not be authorized to take this leave during your AT assignment. You will however, be paid for that leave via Direct Deposit. Prior active duty members who have already been paid for 60 days accrued leave cannot be paid for their leave."