Accuracy/Relative Difficulty of EK 30-minute exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUnifiedScene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm roughly 2 weeks into the 10-week EK self-study plan, so I've taken 7 of the 30 minute EK in class exams. Using their score converter, I've been doing (I think) pretty well, scoring from 129-132 on all of the tests, with an average of 130. Obviously, it's difficult to compare these exams with FL's, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's taken the MCAT/at least taken the AAMC FL and used the 30 minute exams about their accuracy and/or relative difficulty.

Members don't see this ad.

They're hard--especially the Physics exams--but I thought they were good prep for my May exam.

If you're averaging 130 on their exams, you are doing very well.

Be sure to take Full length exams to hone down timing/endurance which is critically important.

If you're averaging 130 on their exams, you are doing very well.

Be sure to take Full length exams to hone down timing/endurance which is critically important.

Awesome! Yeah, I'll finish the 10 week study plan about 6 weeks before my test, so I was planning on using that time to do as many FL/practice sets as possible.

Any other people with experience with the EK 30 minute exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
The 30 min exams are not accurate in terms of how the mcat actually asks the questions. Why? Because the 30 min exams are focused mostly on the one topic learned. Not really incorporating multiple topics into one passage. I will say it is good practice to see if you understand the topics. I scored nearly perfect scores on the 30 min exams. The scale is too favorable.

Now for the EK full lengths. They actually nailed down how the mcat asks their questions. I would focus more on their 3 full lengths rather than the 30 min exams. (In terms of predictably of performance)

Reactions: 1 user
The 30 min exams are not accurate in terms of how the mcat actually asks the questions. Why? Because the 30 min exams are focused mostly on the one topic learned. Not really incorporating multiple topics into one passage. I will say it is good practice to see if you understand the topics. I scored nearly perfect scores on the 30 min exams. The scale is too favorable.

Now for the EK full lengths. They actually nailed down how the mcat asks their questions. I would focus more on their 3 full lengths rather than the 30 min exams. (In terms of predictably of performance)

Yeah, I was concerned about that... So you did comparatively bad on the FL/actual MCAT compared to the 30 minute exams? Thanks for your input!

Where do you get their 30-minute exams? I bought the complete book set for the 2015 MCAT. Is it purchased separately?

Yeah, I was concerned about that... So you did comparatively bad on the FL/actual MCAT compared to the 30 minute exams? Thanks for your input!

I averaged an 80.75% on the AAMC FL, but was getting 130-132 range for all the 30 min exams. I haven't got the preliminary or the results of my MCAT yet so I can't say much more. All i'm saying is that the 30 min exams are meant to test your knowledge of that specific chapter, not every concept being tested.

Where do you get the EK FL?

I thought the 30 minute exams were a great first step. Their primary weakness is that they tend to only focus on a single topic, while the MCAT will combined multiple into a passage, but they're really good about getting you into the habit of analyzing the research papers properly. The EK FLs took that a step further and are the best Prep Company-made FLs.

Where do you get the EK FL?

You have to buy them individually off the ExamKrackers website. They're $50 a pop, but well worth it.

I thought the 30 minute exams were a great first step. Their primary weakness is that they tend to only focus on a single topic, while the MCAT will combined multiple into a passage, but they're really good about getting you into the habit of analyzing the research papers properly. The EK FLs took that a step further and are the best Prep Company-made FLs.

You have to buy them individually off the ExamKrackers website. They're $50 a pop, but well worth it.
Do you know if the 30 min exams are different in each edition of their books? For instance, are the 30 min exams in the 8th edition of EK the same questions as in the 9th edition?

Do you know if the 30 min exams are different in each edition of their books? For instance, are the 30 min exams in the 8th edition of EK the same questions as in the 9th edition?

I would imagine that they are different, but I'm not sure.

Just from a quick scheme-through of the Bio books, they look very different. The 9th edition 30 min exams have passages that have more graphs/tables/charts etc. I have both editions. For example, the 30 min exam for the Endocrine System chapter has completely different set of questions on the 9th compared to the 8th.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users