Accuray to buy TomoTherapy for $277 Million

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit of interesting news in the business headlines today. Accuray is buying TomoTherapy, see WSJ article here.

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at their stock prices over their times of existence ...

It appears to me that they forgot the old adage, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****."

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are cases of great products and questionable business acumen (to be charitable). To be fair, Rock Mackie was keenly aware of the disconnect between creating a good technology and satisfying shareholders who wouldn't know a transformative cancer treatment from a hole in the ground. That's why he resisted overtures to take Tomo public sooner.

I hope the acquisition works out for both sides. I also hope (but am not optimistic) that the business leadership takes a turn for the better. If Euan Thompson maintains his CEO position, he needs to do better than he has.

On a side note, re: the "premium" share price paid out to Tomo stockholders. I know a few people in Madison that are probably still holding their IPO offering at about $13/share that are saying words unsuitable for this forum right about now. Quelle dommage.

I never really liked Accuray.
It's probably because their marketing strategy is a bit too aggressive for my taste and the end users of Cyberknife were usually kind of arrogant.

In my humble opinion there's not much you can do with Cyberknife, that you cannot do with a decent modern LINAC with some extra accessories.

Tomotherapy on the other hand is a completely different concept.
I've worked with a Tomotherapy machine before and the dose distribution achieved by it is in my eyes only surpassed by spot-scanning proton therapy.

...the 80% of the time it isn't broken down.

Any time your product has to have a LINAC "back-up" plan for when the machine is down is going to make stock dip a bit.

Though I agree, when it works, its pretty slick.