Accusations as Public Record in BOPs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverbull

Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the latest regulatory enforcement email from my state BOP, I saw a "new" status rather than just they typical disciplinary actions--names and license numbers & cities of psychologists who have even been accused of ethics violations are now public record and sent out in quarterly emails (i.e. pre-investigation). I reached out to the board; they responded by saying simply that accusations are public record.

Do other states publish psychologists' info and the ethical complaint for as-of-yet uninvestigated accusations as well? I'd like to know how common this is.

Members don't see this ad.

In the latest regulatory enforcement email from my state BOP, I saw a "new" status rather than just they typical disciplinary actions--names and license numbers & cities of psychologists who have even been accused of ethics violations are now public record and sent out in quarterly emails (i.e. pre-investigation). I reached out to the board; they responded by saying simply that accusations are public record.

Do other states publish psychologists' info and the ethical complaint for as-of-yet uninvestigated accusations as well? I'd like to know how common this is.

Convictions/adjudications only. Otherwise the system falls apart, no?

Who benefits from thinking Dr X ordered patient Z a pizza in prison, but then didn't show up to pay the tab, and thus "SUCKS?" LOL

Reactions: 1 user
The yelpification of psychology marches on.

It'd be a damn shame is someone anonymously reported all the members of that local board of psychology for something trivial. That rule might change rather quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The yelpification of psychology marches on.

It'd be a damn shame is someone anonymously reported all the members of that local board of psychology for something trivial. That rule might change rather quickly.
I'm sure they would make an 'exception' in those cases. Membership has its privileges.

Yes, at least the ones that rise to the level of an investigation, but I doubt many people go through the steps necessary to find the minutes of the BOP meetings here.

Oh good, I saw this today and thought it was pretty strange, myself. The state exam made such a big deal that employers shouldn't act on accusations, only substantiated claims. So I found this pretty unsettling.

Oh good, I saw this today and thought it was pretty strange, myself. The state exam made such a big deal that employers shouldn't act on accusations, only substantiated claims. So I found this pretty unsettling.

Yes, at least the ones that rise to the level of an investigation, but I doubt many people go through the steps necessary to find the minutes of the BOP meetings here.

Ours were emailed to hundreds or thousands of licensed psychologists in the state as part of the semi-regular enforcement emails (which is how I was alerted to this). That said, I don’t recall ever seeing accusations in my state being published and sent out in the enforcement emails before today, although the BOP rep claimed that this has always been policy.

I’m just wondering why a state board seems to be shaming psychologists who may have unfounded allegations levied at them (in front of potentially thousands of psychologists in the state). A former supervisor was one such psychologist with an ethics violation allegation that was unfounded, but her name wasn’t emailed out to psychologists 4-5 years ago.

Last edited: