Accused of cheating!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My deans office contacted me to tell me I was turned in for cheating on an exam. I honestly have no idea what they are talking about. I had ten testes in two weeks. I hardly even remember taking the exam. We are having a meeting about it where I get to defend myself. I am so mad! I have step one to worry about! I was given the persons name who turned me in. Do you think it is inappropriate for me to call her and speak with her about this?

Members don't see this ad.

monet said:
My deans office contacted me to tell me I was turned in for cheating on an exam. I honestly have no idea what they are talking about. I had ten testes in two weeks. I hardly even remember taking the exam. We are having a meeting about it where I get to defend myself. I am so mad! I have step one to worry about! I was given the persons name who turned me in. Do you think it is inappropriate for me to call her and speak with her about this?

OMG you must be scared out of your wits! :scared:

I wouldn't contact this person beforehand, since obviously he was the one who cheated. If I were you, I'd wait for my conversation to happen before the dean. Just so the whole thing stays civil, and if any admissions are made, the dean will bear witness to them.

But I wish you well! Keep us up to date.

Captjack

Why is it obvious that the other person was cheating? No offense, but we hardly know any facts and to make a judgement blindly is silly. Don't bother contacting the person - just go to the meeting and find out what was identified as cheating first.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all calm down, it is her word against yours. You have to look at the situation and see what you can do. Do you know which exam is the one into question? If you do then look at the way you have previously done in the class. If the grades for previous exams are within the same range as this one, then she can't accuse you of anything, unless she says that you have been cheating since the beginning of the year. If for this particular exam the grade is strikingly higher then she may be able to support her argument.
At the same time you may turn around and say, "I saw her cheating during exam!" for a different class. I thought that if someone accused another person of cheating they should do it at the time of the exam: talk to the proctor and file a report. Once the exam has passed how are you going to prove that the person was using outside material?
This situation is ridiculous. Maybe she did poorly in the class and she wants to take revenge on someone. My experience is that if during an exam I have time to look at what other people do or don't do, then probably I don't know the material and I am going to do really poorly on that exam.

Good luck,

Fritz.

monet said:
I was given the persons name who turned me in.

Eliminate the witness...but only if you are guilty.

No, it was one of the proctors that accused me apparently. I don't know her. She is a secretary. We basically only had one test in the class, the final. The rest were quizes online. There is honestly no way to cheat in our school. They set up dividers between us.
The only thing I can think of, since this is driving me crazy, is I may have been a little unfocused during the exam. I have ADD and I sat by the door. Every five minutes someone was going to the bathroom, turnining in exams, ect. It was killing me! The good thing is the tests were numbered so I think they can look up the exam of the people around me and compare. I dont know. I am really embarrassed!

i would contact the woman if you can, and i would GET THE CONVERSATION ON TAPE!!!!! that way, if anything beneficial comes out of it, there can be no denials. in fact, it'd be great if she did deny something that she said to you and you then proceeded to whip out a tape. other than that, i'd defend the hell outta myself. anger, indignation, whatever.

The only reason I would really want to contact her for is to find out what she "thinks" she saw me do? I had my family doctor write me a letter stating she treats me for ADD to give at the meeting.

I had that happen in high school--twice. Not a good feeling. One was on an AP Stat exam, and I'm right handed, so, I lean to the left and write. He came up, grabbed my desk and moved it, and told me to stop cheating (he wrote it). I wasn't able to concentrate on the rest of the exam, and left the room before I started crying. I later had a conversation with him, my counselor and my dad--he never looked at the student's exam he thought I cheated off of. Funny thing was, I did, and I did BETTER than her!! She was our valedictorian with a 4.9... so student with a 3.8 obviously is stupid enough to cheat. On top of that, I had diagrams explaining my answers... so they weren't randomly arrived at answers. The other time was in physics when I was being home schooled--the tutor was right there when I was taking the quiz! I had had A work, yet he thought I cheated. :confused: He gave me another form of the exam, and I got the same concepts wrong. I didn't have the greatest tutor, and a horrible textbook. Who was I cheating off of, my cat--or was it the dog?

Good luck, I'm rooting for you!

-Liz

Mr. Rosewater said:
i would contact the woman if you can, and i would GET THE CONVERSATION ON TAPE!!!!!

Yeah, that way you can escalate things to a felony. Good thinking there! :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be a felony if she knew the conversation was being taped. Just tell her that for your records you want to document everything regarding this incident.

This is horrible. Keep us updated on what happens at the meeting. I hope it goes well.

Members don't see this ad :)
monet said:
No, it was one of the proctors that accused me apparently. I have ADD and I sat by the door. Every five minutes someone was going to the bathroom, turnining in exams, ect. It was killing me!

I will go with the presumption you are telling the truth. It sounds like you were looking at other people turning in their exams, so the proctor thought you were trying to read their answer sheets.

We just finished a four-hour symposium on the ADD disorder. I think you suggesting that the people passing by were distracting you, so you may have inadvertently glanced at them (and by association their papers?).

You might consider leaving the whole ADD thing out of it - it is viewed by some people as a cop-out, a cheap excuse for vague behavioural problems. Some dean who is not listening closely may mistake this as a confession of guilt, that is, you are using uncontrolled ADD as a reason for why you cheated. Aside from this risk, it also paints you in a more cheater-ish light, since people with ADD might have more compulsions to cheat. So I would avoid invoking it unless you needed it to explain a particular behavior.

I think it takes quite a bit of cheating in order for someone to be accused of it, since people tend to ignore it. Your role at this point is just to not fuss over it, and relax/wait. Innocent mistakes happen, and it will be cleared up if you are telling the truth.

Bottom line: If you just tell the truth, then there is no need to worry about it.

Hi my advice to you is NOT TO CALL HER! you never contact the accuser, unless in an official surrounding, TRUST ME! or it could work against you!

Anyhow, don't sweat it too much, it's your word against hers.... the worst that will happen is that you will probably be reprimanded and thats it.... but yeah I'd leave the ADD thing out of it.....

Good Luck

ocean11 said:
.... the worst that will happen is that you will probably be reprimanded and thats it....

Unfortunately, they could put a "ethical conduct" reprimand on your med school record and totally screw your application for residency. So definitely fight this all the way! If you do call the accuser (probably a bad idea), make sure to be very nice. This is a situation that requires you to put aside your emotions and be very smooth.

Mr. Rosewater said:
i would contact the woman if you can, and i would GET THE CONVERSATION ON TAPE!!!!! that way, if anything beneficial comes out of it, there can be no denials. in fact, it'd be great if she did deny something that she said to you and you then proceeded to whip out a tape. other than that, i'd defend the hell outta myself. anger, indignation, whatever.

Isn't it illegal to tape a phone conversation without the other person's consent?

kinetic said:
Yeah, that way you can escalate things to a felony. Good thinking there! :rolleyes:

Actually, you don't need to inform the other party that you are taping (in most US Circuits that is). The general prohibition is against a 3rd party taping a conversation with neither conversant's knowledge. The party you are taping has no expectation of privacy with the person she is talking to.

It presumably varies state to state, but in florida, yeah, it is illegal to tape someone without their knowledge of it.

skiz knot said:
Isn't it illegal to tape a phone conversation without the other person's consent?

i'd still tape it. if there's nothing on the tape that won't help you, then no one will know about it. if there is something on there that can help, then you could find out the legality of introducing it. i do think however, that the call and tape might be more beneficial if it was another student doing the accusing. a proctor is likely just mistaken, rather than any potential personal agenda.

I would tape it anyways. The school is not really going to care that you taped the conversation because it isn't really thier jurisdiction in any way.

Mr. Rosewater said:
i'd still tape it. if there's nothing on the tape that won't help you, then no one will know about it. if there is something on there that can help, then you could find out the legality of introducing it. i do think however, that the call and tape might be more beneficial if it was another student doing the accusing. a proctor is likely just mistaken, rather than any potential personal agenda.

If the situation is handled internally, such as by the Dean, then the legal aspect is really irrelevant. It would only matter if the circumstance ended up in court.

I would tape it anyways. The school is not really going to care that you taped the conversation because it isn't really thier jurisdiction in any way.

Not to be a wet blanket, but taping a conversation in a situation where your ethical reputation is at stake is probably a bad idea. It sure won't make you look better to the Dean, and although maybe not illegal, it sure is unethical.

C

flindophile said:
I used to be a university prof and have failed about 20 students for cheating.

My god! Isn't that a little too many to fail :eek:

I personally would never cheat and prefer to graciously flunk an exam than to cheat in any way but I know that if I was a prof I would never approach it that way. I think talking to the student and communication is a big deal. If a student is truly cheating then that is just wrong and should be dealt with. But as I mentioned I think the first step should be to personally talk to the student not to directly involve dean, etc. Plus, who knows maybe it was a misperception on the other party's (prof, another student) part.

I would call up the accuser and tell them...

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' fellas, who'll go to work on you with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass." :smuggrin:

Let's see if you ever get accused of cheating again.

when you take exams, don't the people sitting next to you have different forms? if that is the case...then how can you cheat?

I would also call up the accuser and talk to her but in a diplomatic kind of way. She obviously has something against you so it might help to find out what it is. Or maybe she really did think she saw you cheating because you did something weird during the exam. If you explain to her what you were doing, maybe she'll realize what a dope she is.

bruinkid said:
when you take exams, don't the people sitting next to you have different forms? if that is the case...then how can you cheat?

Everyone in our class gets the same exam but we have this honor code thing we have to sign afterwards, and there are harsh penalities for cheating and signing the honor code.

I'm not sure if this will be a satisfying answer, but if you honestly didn't cheat, I would stop worrying about this immediately. Wait until you meet with your Dean and just say you don't know what this chick is talking about. Then, they'll tell you what she's talking about, and you can respond appropriately. The penalties are only harsh if you actually did what they are accusing you of. As a medical student, you will get the benefit of the doubt unless it's provable that you actually did cheat.

This exercise is probably a bit of a mind-f*ck, where your greatest probability of getting in trouble is if you convict yourself by confessing, which if you didn't do anything shady shouldn't be a problem. Just someone saying you were looking around the classroom means nothing. People get bored, distracted, whatever. Maybe the chicks walking around had fine bodies and you were looking for some eye candy during the exam-- there are many perfectly good reasons for not staring at your exam for two hours straight.

Hmm... might be a good idea to speak with an attorney before too much time goes by. You definetely need an advocate. False accusations can be very damaging, so don't go into this alone. I know we generally loathe them, but you really must speak to a lawyer before you do anything else.

Fight it 100%

Agreed that an attorney might be a good idea . . . another option is to speak with the University Ombudsman (if it has one). They are required to be confidential and can make a good advocate as well.

My advice is definitely don't contact or even talk to the accuser outside the formal meeting even though you want to tell her off. Present yourself in a professional manor that lends the most credibility to you at all times. Don't bring in the ADD thing except as a possible aside offhand remark if it seems like it could help. The best thing you can do is just keep your cool and appear more mature and credible than your accuser. If you know you are innocent there is no way they can have anything on you that will stick or go on your record. If its really doing a number on your step 1 study maybe you should ask to move up the date of the meeting.

My advice is to get an attorney. (or at least talk to one...)

When you go to talk with the dean, only give him what he asks for and nothing more. Keep it simple and don't elaborate.

comatose said:
When you go to talk with the dean, only give him what he asks for and nothing more. Keep it simple and don't elaborate.

I wouldn't agree with that. You should express your frustration with being falsley accused of cheating. You should keep it real but try to stay as professional and credible as possible at the same time.

At most schools I have been at if you are caught cheating during the exam by a proctor, you are not allowed to finish the exam.

If you didn't cheat there is nothing to worry about. If she thought you were "looking around" she should have first made a warning unless it was blatant that you were attempting to cheat. Turning you in after the exam is done without hard evidence is pretty pointless because it will be her word against yours. At most places the burden of proof is going to be higher than that.

1.get an attorney-in case it gets ugly.

2.don't bother with talking to this person-nothing good can come from it.

3.tape your meeting with the dean. preferably whip out the recorder and let him/her know they are being taped. turn the tables on them and make them play defense. you ask the questions [who? what? where? when? why? how?]-they provide the answers. it's not illegal to tape conversations (but may be inadmissable in court a few states).

NE_Cornhusker1 said:
1.get an attorney-in case it gets ugly.

2.don't bother with talking to this person-nothing good can come from it.

3.tape your meeting with the dean. preferably whip out the recorder and let him/her know they are being taped. turn the tables on them and make them play defense. you ask the questions [who? what? where? when? why? how?]-they provide the answers. it's not illegal to tape conversations (but may be inadmissable in court a few states).

Might not be a bad idea to talk to an attorney provided they have some experience in this area, but wouldn't turning it into a "federal case" at this point potentially spread some ill will? The guy is still going to need a dean's letter. It could be possible or even probable to get out of this thing unscathed if it is played correctly.

I spoke with the head of the committee today. There are two students appointed to this committee. I don't know who they are. It is supose to be confidential yet I got an odd call from the class president asking me about grades ect. I did not talk to him about anything...
I think I will wait to see what the committee comes up with tomorrow. When should I tell them I am contacting an attorney?

JohnnyVegas said:
Might not be a bad idea to talk to an attorney provided they have some experience in this area, but wouldn't turning it into a "federal case" at this point potentially spread some ill will? The guy is still going to need a dean's letter. It could be possible or even probable to get out of this thing unscathed if it is played correctly.

if it was a the two-bit dean of paducah chiro-podiatric-beauty college who holds a grudge then yes. otherwise i wouldn't worry about it, especially if you're clear of any wrong-doing. don't be ashamed to protect your rights. a dean who is annoyed that you fought this tooth and nail is far less detremenial than cheating charge on your record.

monet said:
I spoke with the head of the committee today. There are two students appointed to this committee. I don't know who they are. It is supose to be confidential yet I got an odd call from the class president asking me about grades ect. I did not talk to him about anything...
I think I will wait to see what the committee comes up with tomorrow. When should I tell them I am contacting an attorney?

Go in there with an open mind and present your case, listening carefully to what is said and the general tone. I would not mention an attorney unless things are clearly going against you. First off, do you really want to bring in an attorney? It will cost a lot of money and time to get any kind of legal fix, and you will have likely been suspended and had the school's internal disciplinary process concluded before you could file anything. The primary value of bringing in the lawyer would be the intimidation value-- sending a message of I take this very seriously, and I'm not going to be pushed around. But, there is no benefit to this unless this is a railroad job or the proctor actually has some meaningful evidence (or you're the kind of person who will cave under pressure and say self-incriminating things)

But, if as is still likely, the Dean is reasonable and you've done nothing, your best bet will be to resolve this in an amicable way. If you've had decent grades for the first year, be sure to point that out. There's also nothing wrong with being angry and outraged that they are accusing you of this.

Wow! This is horrible. I hope things turn out well for you.

good luck tomorrow.

one last bit of advice that is of vital importance:

DO NOT SPEAK, OR EVEN UTTER A SOUND W/O CONSIDERING YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY!

the worst thing you can do is say something that sounds shady or incriminating. everything you say should have 1 message, which should be that the accusations are 100% w/o merit. concede nothing, and say absolutely nothing w/o considering the ramifications.

NE_Cornhusker1 said:
if it was a the two-bit dean of paducah chiro-podiatric-beauty college who holds a grudge then yes. otherwise i wouldn't worry about it, especially if you're clear of any wrong-doing. don't be ashamed to protect your rights. a dean who is annoyed that you fought this tooth and nail is far less detremenial than cheating charge on your record.

The fact is most people that have been booted or received marks on their records in med school were thorns in the sides of faculty members. It appears that you lack knowledge withregard to how things really work the vast majority of the time. An attorney should be a last resort in my opinion.

the committee was meeting today without me. they said they would contact me to tell me what i will need to do.
I will hold off on the attorney. Maybe I will go meet with the school attorney to see where I stand just in case

monet out of curiosity what med school do you go to?

monet said:
the committee was meeting today without me. they said they would contact me to tell me what i will need to do.
I will hold off on the attorney. Maybe I will go meet with the school attorney to see where I stand just in case

Are there any student representatives on that committee?

Yes, there are student representatives on the committee. Why?

I don't get this. They must have some compelling evidence to support her contention that you were cheating. Suspicion is not enough. Without evidence, they wouldn't hold an inquiry. Something is wrong here. There has to be something to back up her claim, if not it would have never gotten to this point. But, as you say, everyone next to you has a different exam. So, I don't get it. What could it be?

You know what... this thread is actually VERY BENEFICIAL for future undergrad and med students as well as others.... it is a warning for others not to even attempt to cheat, sometimes its better to fail a test/exam then go through all this hassle....

NOW with that said... I'm not saying that monet cheated.... I hope that it is a big misunderstanding and that you're exonerated.... good luck buddy