Accused of plagiarism but found not guilty...should I report this?

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
I got accused for plagiarism a few months ago. The end result was that it was changed to "no charge." I did get a notice from academic integrity office however.

1. Should I even report this in my apps?

2. Is there any way for the admissions officers to know? Would they even try to look? It isn't on my transcript or my academic record.

Even if they do find out, I was found not guilty/no charge at the end. Could this hurt me if I get caught?

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
If you are 100% sure that there is nothing on your transcript or record (call the school to be sure) then I don't think you will have to report it, IMO

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
If you are 100% sure that there is nothing on your transcript or record (call the school to be sure) then I don't think you will have to report it, IMO
I'm waiting for their response. I'm interested to know what @Goro would think. Im kinda freaking out right now

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Ive been a student judge for my honor council, often times this happens when we know there wasnt enough evidence but send reminders to student that "hey get your act together" type of thing, sometimes these letters are harmless, and sometimes they are kept on file to keep a paper trail internally! That said I cannot in good conscious think something is on your transcript. However wait for that email.

Reactions: Mr Doc Turr

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Everything depends upon what your transcript says. Even if it says "no charge" then simply explain exactly as you did in your OP. No one, not even Der Trumpenfuhrer, could possibly think "where there's smoke, there's fire".

I'm waiting for their response. I'm interested to know what @Goro would think. Im kinda freaking out right now

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
Ive been a student judge for my honor council, often times this happens when we know there wasnt enough evidence but send reminders to student that "hey get your act together" type of thing, sometimes these letters are harmless, and sometimes they are kept on file to keep a paper trail internally! That said I cannot in good conscious think something is on your transcript. However wait for that email.
Everything depends upon what your transcript says. Even if it says "no charge" then simply explain exactly as you did in your OP. No one, not even Der Trumpenfuhrer, could possibly think "where there's smoke, there's fire".
At least on my updated unofficial transcript, there is nothing about this. But the thing is, I was originally charged with plagiarism (overzealous prof), but we straightened things out. So I think putting it on my apps may do more harm than good.

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
At least on my updated unofficial transcript, there is nothing about this. But the thing is, I was originally charged with plagiarism (overzealous prof), but we straightened things out. So I think putting it on my apps may do more harm than good.
It depends on the language on the application, oftentimes secondaries may say "were you ever referred to the honor council" versus "were you ever found guilty due to a honor council proceedings". So it depends on the language whether an omission is warranted.

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
It depends on the language on the application, oftentimes secondaries may say "were you ever referred to the honor council" versus "were you ever found guilty due to a honor council proceedings". So it depends on the language whether an omission is warranted.
In regards to your previous post, there is a "paper trail" if you will. I personally can still access the letter where I was originally charged with plagiarism. I was repeatedly told that this incident would not be on my record by the committee, however. So would the med schools even look if they had no reason to suspect me? They would really have to dig to find out I was accused (but had the charges dropped)....

Also, I even got a grade in the class, no F. Did pretty well, actually.

Last edited:

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
In regards to your previous post, there is a "paper trail" if you will. I personally can still access the letter where I was originally charged with plagiarism. I was repeatedly told that this incident would not be on my record by the committee, however. So would the med schools even look if they had no reason to suspect me? They would really have to dig to find out I was accused (but had the charges dropped)....
Ad Coms are humans, they will only suspect if they have a reason to. That said, if you have been told it wount show up, I would get something in writing to cover yourself just as a back up. This is almost a non-issue if 1. your tnrascript doesnt say anything, 2. you can get something in writing.

To be honest, AdComs love honesty, I was in a somewhat similar situation, where I forgot to disclose my speeding tickets, and I right away realized it, and during my interview, and prior to starting, I mentioned this, and how I wanted to start off on a honest note (I had emailed them before about it and how Ill bring my speeding ticket payment confirmation). They loved it. They in fact thanked me for my honesty and said "you are the kind of doctor this profession needs". Not saying go ahead do this, but if you really feel uneasy, go ahead contact an admissions officer, most are very open to talking. They will tell you honestly.

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
Ad Coms are humans, they will only suspect if they have a reason to. That said, if you have been told it wount show up, I would get something in writing to cover yourself just as a back up. This is almost a non-issue if 1. your tnrascript doesnt say anything, 2. you can get something in writing.

To be honest, AdComs love honesty, I was in a somewhat similar situation, where I forgot to disclose my speeding tickets, and I right away realized it, and during my interview, and prior to starting, I mentioned this, and how I wanted to start off on a honest note (I had emailed them before about it and how Ill bring my speeding ticket payment confirmation). They loved it. They in fact thanked me for my honesty and said "you are the kind of doctor this profession needs". Not saying go ahead do this, but if you really feel uneasy, go ahead contact an admissions officer, most are very open to talking. They will tell you honestly.
I could do that, but I'm afraid it will backfire on me. I already submitted my primary application and didn't mention it. Regretting it a bit now

Also, I got my LORs before this incident so I dont have to worry about my letter writers mentioning it either.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I don't think any app asks you if you were ever "charged" with an infraction. usually if it's "Were you guilty of ...X?"

So, You're clean.

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I could do that, but I'm afraid it will backfire on me. I already submitted my primary application and didn't mention it. Regretting it a bit now

Also, I got my LORs before this incident so I dont have to worry about my letter writers mentioning it either.
Take @Goro 's advice. Hes given me some good advice, and now Im sitting in medical school :)

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
If my transcript does end up mentioning the case by saying "no charge" and the Adcoms find out, would that be an auto rejection since I didn't mention it in my applications anywhere? What would you personally do?

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
I don't think any app asks you if you were ever "charged" with an infraction. usually if it's "Were you guilty of ...X?"

So, You're clean.
Sorry for being paranoid but the WVSOM secondary asks if we have ever been "subject" to disciplinary action. I honestly don't know if this would count

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I interpret that as meaning "were you ever sanctioned?" Hence, I believe that you can answer "no".

Sorry for being paranoid but the WVSOM secondary asks if we have ever been "subject" to disciplinary action. I honestly don't know if this would count

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
If your transcript says something like "no charge", then click the box and explain. Quit fussing.

If my transcript does end up mentioning the case by saying "no charge" and the Adcoms find out, would that be an auto rejection since I didn't mention it in my applications anywhere? What would you personally do?

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Alright I hate to put it to you this way, but you are REALLY over thinking this a bit. Calm down. @Goro IS an AdCom, his interpretation counts for something. Btw the school you referred to has some of the NICEST admissions staff. Very nice people there, and honestly if you called and asked youll get a straight forward answer. I know because thats where I decided to go :)

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
If your transcript says something like "no charge", then click the box and explain. Quit fussing.
I know it's been awhile since my last post. But I just found out that someone got their med school acceptance from NOVEMBER rescinded because he didn't report a plagiarism charge. The school is a top MD school.

I instantly remembered my situation. Like me, he didn't disclose it but the school said they had no record of it. But there was a paper trail. And the school called and checked.

I've been accepted to med school now, already started. But should I be worried they'll call my school and kick me out? Should I live my life looking over my shoulder? Feel sick to my stomach right now

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I know it's been awhile since my last post. But I just found out that someone got their med school acceptance from NOVEMBER rescinded because he didn't report a plagiarism charge. The school is a top MD school.

I instantly remembered my situation. Like me, he didn't disclose it but the school said they had no record of it. But there was a paper trail. And the school called and checked.

I've been accepted to med school now, already started. But should I be worried they'll call my school and kick me out? Should I live my life looking over my shoulder? Feel sick to my stomach right now
Key thing for us to know: Did that person actually get convicted of the charge????????

Sometimes a paper trail might be in a LOR. OR, the person who looked at the record may not have done a thorough job of checking paperwork.

I can't see how if you were found not guilty that you were the "subject" to disciplinary action.

When in doubt, contact the Admissions dean.

Reactions: PashaOdesit
OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
Key thing for us to know: Did that person actually get convicted of the charge????????

Sometimes a paper trail might be in a LOR. OR, the person who looked at the record may not have done a thorough job of checking paperwork.

I can't see how if you were found not guilty that you were the "subject" to disciplinary action.

When in doubt, contact the Admissions dean.
I have no idea of the kid was charged. But I know that I WAS charged. And I'm scared to death that talking to the Dean will do more harm than good.

Here's everything the Dean at my undergrad emailed me when I asked about it last year...

1. "Greetings,
I have updated your record and changed it from responsible to no charge. Good luck in the future

2. Greetings ****,
You are cleared. You do not need to worry about it.
Best, Dean ****

3. Greetings,
No. This will not appear on your academic record.
Best, Dean *****"

4. Hi. I had written “see below”. I stated that nothing will be on your academic transcript or record.
Best, *****

I just don't trust her. If the school calls, they would tell them about what happened- guaranteed. How do I know? There's clearly a electronic trail.

Here's what the original "charges" were.
"After a careful review of the information submitted by Professor ***, I found sufficient evidence existed to charge you with the following violations of the University Code of Student Conduct, Part VII....

Given this determination, you advised me of your decision to resolve this matter by accepting responsibility for the academic integrity violation."

That last part really scares me. I never accepted the fact that I cheated but apparently they have me on record that I did

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
@Med Ed what do you say?

Man I wish I could go back in time and just have avoided this dumb incident. It happened just days before I graduated too.

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
you have the word of your Dean. if anything comes up you can show what the Dean told you.
I mean she kinda screwed me over by charging me in the first place...her word doesn't mean much to me. Can't stand people who act all friendly but stab you in the back

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I mean she kinda screwed me over by charging me in the first place...her word doesn't mean much to me. Can't stand people who act all friendly but stab you in the back
You could ask the dean to write a letter of recommendation in your behalf

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
You could ask the dean to write a letter of recommendation in your behalf
I could, but I hope they give me a chance to explain myself if they find about the academic integrity violation. It's unlikely they'll check now that I'm already in, right?

Also, do you think I should have reported it?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I could, but I hope they give me a chance to explain myself if they find about the academic integrity violation. It's unlikely they'll check now that I'm already in, right?

Also, do you think I should have reported it?
I don't think that you should have reported it.

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
You’re already like 6-7 months in your first year right? Once you’re a matriculated student they have a vested interested in you and want to see you finish unless of course there is some huge screw up which this isn’t.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
You’re already like 6-7 months in your first year right? Once you’re a matriculated student they have a vested interested in you and want to see you finish unless of course there is some huge screw up which this isn’t.
I agree.

OP could also ask a trusted faculty member for advice as to how to succeed.

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
I don't know why you're worrying so much, they are two different situations.
They're actually pretty similar from what I've been told.
The kid didn't properly quote like I did. I don't know if his Dean told him the things they told me in regards to getting it removed from his record, but I do know that it happened like 4 years ago (before he was even Premed). Apparently the admissions staff aren't willing to reason with him.

Magus5454

MS2 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
They're actually pretty similar from what I've been told.
The kid didn't properly quote like I did. I don't know if his Dean told him the things they told me in regards to getting it removed from his record, but I do know that it happened like 4 years ago (before he was even Premed). Apparently the admissions staff aren't willing to reason with him.
Youre missing the point, hes not admitted yet, you are. Your professor used a bar set far too low, and it should never seen the Deans desk

latinclubimperatus

First Aid is life
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2014
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
I got accused for plagiarism a few months ago. The end result was that it was changed to "no charge." I did get a notice from academic integrity office however.

1. Should I even report this in my apps?

2. Is there any way for the admissions officers to know? Would they even try to look? It isn't on my transcript or my academic record.

Even if they do find out, I was found not guilty/no charge at the end. Could this hurt me if I get caught?
I know someone in the same boat. Answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You’re gonna be fine OP. Zero percent chance this gets dug up, and you weren’t found guilty of anything at the time. Get back to studying!

OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
Take two of these, please:
View attachment 218147
It's been a while, I know. I should update you all on this. I talked to a trusted professor about this.

She said I was technically disciplined when I agreed to send the revised paper just to move the process along, I was basically agreeing to a "sanction," which is essentially admitting guilt. There was a document I was able to access originally by my school where I was considered "guilty" before I revised the paper.

Also...before the professor and Dean allowed me to revise the paper, my transcript had a grade of TZ, which is "when a student is unable to complete their course work due to a verifiable emergency situation."But it is now an A. But the TZ could be considered "disciplined."

This message from my ugrad Dean was basically the nail in the coffin: "Given this determination, you advised me of your decision to resolve this matter by accepting responsibility for the academic integrity violation."

goddamn it

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
Youre missing the point, hes not admitted yet, you are. Your professor used a bar set far too low, and it should never seen the Deans desk
Late reply on this, but it saw the Dean's desk only because it was a final paper worth 30% of the grade.

My situation is eerily similar to this one, even happened around the same time as mine. And the responses they got were much different than the ones from here:

"Yes" or "No" to CASPA's Academic Infraction Question?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018
I had a similar thing, was accused of cheating because 'a student stated that the student in question stated they had utilized an unauthorized resource on the quiz''. I included it in my application even though it was never placed anywhere on my transcript at all and was deemed unfounded. I made sure to explain the accusation and it's finding, and also reported a few things I learned - like people can easily misconstrue things they 'overhear' and you must constantly be cognizant of your surroundings. This lesson is important as a future physician, who will be under frequent scrutiny and working with many patients. We'll just say it didn't hurt my chances and I did well this cycle. :)

Reactions: Goro
OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
I had a similar thing, was accused of cheating because 'a student stated that the student in question stated they had utilized an unauthorized resource on the quiz''. I included it in my application even though it was never placed anywhere on my transcript at all and was deemed unfounded. I made sure to explain the accusation and it's finding, and also reported a few things I learned - like people can easily misconstrue things they 'overhear' and you must constantly be cognizant of your surroundings. This lesson is important as a future physician, who will be under frequent scrutiny and working with many patients. We'll just say it didn't hurt my chances and I did well this cycle. :)
Well that's completely different from my case. Did you meet with a Dean?

Jul 13, 2018
Well that's completely different from my case. Did you meet with a Dean?
No, just an advisor and the professor. The program wasn't the greatest organizationally. It did go into my file apparently, and they never updated it to 'unfounded', though I have all of the paperwork for it. I kind of loved that their accusation was based entirely around another student stating I stated something though - very convoluted!

Reactions: Mr Doc Turr
OP
M

Mr Doc Turr

2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2015
No, just an advisor and the professor. The program wasn't the greatest organizationally. It did go into my file apparently, and they never updated it to 'unfounded', though I have all of the paperwork for it. I kind of loved that their accusation was based entirely around another student stating I stated something though - very convoluted!
Ah I see. Most of the ADCOMs here say I shouldn't have reported it, which I am conflicted on.

I'm sure my institution would've told me by now if they knew about it, so I am assuming it's not on my transcript. But I am still 100% convinced there is a electronic record of my case.

As for now I am mostly worried about residency programs doing a check on me finding out about it. Sure, I can explain it but with some people they'll have their mind made up already.