Acdemic Dentist, is it a wrong choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pengdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I seems failed in this year's applications. I am wondering if this is due to my statement in which I state my goal is to be an acdemic dentist, because I hold a PhD degree now. Is it a wrong choice? Will the dental school committes like this? Thank you for your opinions, it will help a lot. (my stat: 90, 253, 3.2)
Best,
Pengdds

Members don't see this ad.

pengdds said:
Hi, I seems failed in this year's applications. I am wondering if this is due to my statement in which I state my goal is to be an acdemic dentist, because I hold a PhD degree now. Is it a wrong choice? Will the dental school committes like this? Thank you for your opinions, it will help a lot. (my stat: 90, 253, 3.2)
Best,
Pengdds

I dont think so!
What do you mean u failed?dint interview at all? or dint get accepted anywhere?

D(M)ental said:
I dont think so!
What do you mean u failed?dint interview at all? or dint get accepted anywhere?

I sent all my applications early Sept.

Members don't see this ad :)
pengdds said:

I am sorry! :(
I dont know what to say.To my best knowledge there is a shortage of dental teachers so it is supposed to be a good thing to want to teach.
The admission/selection process seem so mysterious to me.
Good Luck,though.

pengdds said:

you still have time..apply to BU and NYU...All the best.

every school i've interviewed has mentioned the growing need for dental school teachers. what is your PhD in? perhaps you could phrase your intentions as teaching rather than just "academic dentist". minute semantics.

I am also interested in applying to a dental school after I complete my PhD in Pharmacology.
After I read your post, I got scared :(
Is there anything different in the application process if you have already PhD degree?

Nothing different, I think no extra credits.

pengdds said:
Best,
Pengdds

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG but I though you don't need to have advanced standing for teaching I heard about a couple dentist from my country and one of them is a dean of a dental school but he doesn't have the license to practice here in a private ofice. They do carry a special license only for teaching purposes. I know a couple dentist from Brazil that came for a conference PHDs both and got jobs offers to teach. So I dont know. Maybe you can start applying to teach just holding your current degree. :luck:

Is your PhD in a field related to dentistry or medicine? If not, is it a "Dr. Phil" kind of PhD (he does claim he's got a PhD). Bottomline is how relevant is your PhD to dentistry and dental science? Have you got publications in dental journals? What kind of research have you done? Just saying that you want to be an academic dentist sometimes isn't enough. You need to show track record of what you had done so far. If you have done a PhD, then what did you do before and after? And where did you do your PhD? Little details like these can sway the interviewer's mind...