ACEP/EMRA Residency Fair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cal2Lane

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us applying this year, do we use the residency fair as a way to to "sell ourselves" similar to a job fair? Or is it more of an opportunity to learn about programs that we may not have considered (i.e., the programs are selling to us)? Should I bring my CV? Attire?

With thanks--

Members don't see this ad.

For those of us applying this year, do we use the residency fair as a way to to "sell ourselves" similar to a job fair? Or is it more of an opportunity to learn about programs that we may not have considered (i.e., the programs are selling to us)? Should I bring my CV? Attire?

With thanks--

It's my opinion that these fairs give info to the applicants and are a chance for a program to sell themselves. Sure, you can network, bought I doubt you're making a significant impact chatting with the PDs for a few minutes. I personally don't think CVs are necessary. Small talk is just fine.

(Note: I am not a program director.)

mike

With thanks--

It's both really. I agree with Mike in saying that it's hard to make much of an impression in a couple of minutes (and that goes both ways). You might use the time to learn something about places you haven't applied to, but might if they say the right things to you.

c.v. = no, that's on ERAS

attire = business. We shouldn't care, but if I have to get into the monkey suit, you do too. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
What programs typically come to the residency fair? Is it programs from all over of all caliber, or mainly those who have more trouble recruiting for any number of reasons? I'll be at EMRA/ACEP--hope to meet some of you there!

What programs typically come to the residency fair? Is it programs from all over of all caliber, or mainly those who have more trouble recruiting for any number of reasons? I'll be at EMRA/ACEP--hope to meet some of you there!

Nearly everybody's there. I don't know why we bother, since almost nobody has recruiting problems. . . OH YEAH, It's because we're really nice people who want to support EMRA and talk to you all.:D

I went to the San Fran assembly the year before I was applying for programs, shook a lot of hands, met most of the program directors in the area of the country I was most interested in.

As a non-traditional applicant (coming from the navy as a flight surgeon 5 years out from medical school, one transitional intern year under my belt), I think it was incredibly valuable to feel out the different programs receptiveness to my background. Meeting my current PD at that meet and greet session I believe went a long way to getting my residency spot. Perhaps BKN can comment about putting a face to a name on the ERAS application, especially when you are sending follow up emails....

I went to the San Fran assembly the year before I was applying for programs, shook a lot of hands, met most of the program directors in the area of the country I was most interested in.

As a non-traditional applicant (coming from the navy as a flight surgeon 5 years out from medical school, one transitional intern year under my belt), I think it was incredibly valuable to feel out the different programs receptiveness to my background. Meeting my current PD at that meet and greet session I believe went a long way to getting my residency spot. Perhaps BKN can comment about putting a face to a name on the ERAS application, especially when you are sending follow up emails....

Well, it can be tough when you meet a hundred people in two hours. I think Derek was a little miffed when he arrived for his interview and I didn't immediately remember him. He had gone out of his way to talk to me for several minutes at the fair. It worked out though.