ACEP Getting Fitted For A New Suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alvarez13

PGEEE2 mediates FEEEVER
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ACEP names Envision Healthcare exec Jaquis as president-elect

Seriously? Less than a year ago this was the group that got sued $30 million by the US dept of Justice for pocketing money off of illegal referrals. I know, let's make him the head of one of our largest advocacy groups. That'll make us [ACEP] look like we're looking out for the pit docs.

Positive note, maybe there'll be less USACS logos all over all these publications, pocket references, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Best part was modern healthcare called him what he is.. Not an ED doc. But a “healthcare executive”. People selling their souls to these scumbags. I dont think that dude even works clinical shifts anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
This is why I am looking forward to paying dues to AAEM.

I'm just completely confused as to how people actually think ACEP represents their interests in EM. ACEP seems to have sold out a long time ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only 2 people ran. Maybe if more people showed up and ran for president other people would get the position.
But yeah, it's rare the people like Paul Kivela who are independent.

Only 2 people ran. Maybe if more people showed up and ran for president other people would get the position.
But yeah, it's rare the people like Paul Kivela who are independent.

I'm not sure why anyone would want the job. Does it pay anything? Seems like a lot of extra work for no reward. Most likely the CMGs give their people stipends if they get the position.

I'm not sure why anyone would want the job. Does it pay anything? Seems like a lot of extra work for no reward. Most likely the CMGs give their people stipends if they get the position.
It pays a stipend. But yeah, you basically have to take a sabbatical to do it.

Who else ran?

So I haven't worked with the ACEP board, but I do work with their arm in the AMA and there is a pretty significant overlap as people who get leadership in one tend to get leadership in the other (not usually simultaneously, but at times it does happen simultaneously). Both of these guys were well respected by their peers in the ACEP leadership but the people I talked to on the AMA/ACEP end all had nothing but high and effusive praise for Jacquis. Hirshon was always described as 'capable'.

Given that the ACEP presidency isn't a popularity contest - its nearly always 2 or 3 highly qualified board members who have served their time and climbed the ranks and know when their 'opportunity' is coming 2 or 3 years before it arrives. Similarly, its essentially never a charismatic person *actually* running. Given these two facts, the opinions of the people at the highest levels with you is really telling. Guy seems to be beloved by the others who work so hard to make a difference for our field - so I'd give him the pass and trust that he truly wants to do good things for the profession. Does being the executive VP for a big chunk of envisions presence in south florida mean he has conflicts - yes it does. But everyone brings conflicts with them, its just a matter of what cohort of types of jobs youd be accused of favoring. But it sounds like he has always run a very tight ship and one that people respected, so I cant imagine it changes now that he moves up another rung to the position of 'person who gets to be a figurehead and has an expense account for DC trips.'