ACEPNOW Weighs in on Summa Debacle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://www.acepnow.com/article/summa-transition-directly-principals/

KK: The program has a great reputation and provides great training. What really happened, from your perspective, with this transition?

JW: Basically, our most recent contract [with Summa Health System] was a three-year contract started in 2013. At that time, there was an RFP because Summa wanted one group for six emergency departments. One has since closed, so now it’s five emergency departments. It was us and many other groups vying for that contract. We won the contract in 2013 and picked up three other emergency departments within the system.

KK: Was this negotiation in 2016 different?

JW: We had dealt with similar administrations for multiple years. Some members of the new team have been here for one to three years. The negotiations didn’t get started, unfortunately, until mid to late November. We saw the first contract on Nov. 26. It was about an 80-page contract. The biggest issue was that it was never about quality, timeliness of service, or meeting any metrics. We do fantastic on the metrics. The residency does very well on the medical education side. When we won the RFP three years ago, we picked up three new emergency departments within Summa. All three are underperforming either financially and/or by volume.

Two weeks before we took over the Wadsworth contract, the hospital decided to get rid of inpatient beds; it took out 36 percent of the volume within that ER. The groups that were in there before us had asked for stipends or assistance. We did those contracts for three years, and lost between $8 million and $9 million. It cost us more to staff them, bill them, and malpractice them than we were receiving in revenue. There was nothing to cut from our end. We offset the losses with other departments that we run.

Five senior residents this year wanted to stay with the group. All five had to sign with competitors because I could not offer them the type of package needed for them to pay back the $350,000 in medical student loans.

KK: So the math is simple. You can’t compensate people and pay your bills if they’re more than you can bring in in revenue.

JW: Correct. I’ve been head of our group for 15 years, and even before I was president of the group we never had any financial assistance from the hospital, but those in residency roles got graduate medical education money. In our counter proposal to Summa, we didn’t even ask for financial assistance. We said, “Can we get out of two of these three ERs? Can we close them? Can we make them urgent cares?”

KK: Was there anything extraordinary beyond meeting your losses with the stipend you were looking for?

JW: No. Initially, we didn’t even want a stipend, but when it was discussed, it was actually significantly less than what we were losing. Basically, our group, doctors, and corporation were giving them [Summa] a stipend the last three years and my doctors were taking less....

KK: In effect, you were subsidizing the hospital. Did you decide to withdraw or did they terminate your contract?

JW: The contract was over Dec. 31 at 11:59 p.m. I had requested face-to-face meetings with emails saying, “Guys, let’s get together and get this worked out.” We got the contract on Nov. 26 or 28. Our first and only face-to-face meeting was Dec. 26.....

KK: It sounds like they may have had a backup plan in place?

JW: Well, they had actually talked to US Acute Care Solutions on Dec. 24 before we had our face-to-face meeting on Dec. 26.....

The residents (only those on an ED rotation) did not work for two or three days. They were put on administrative elective, basically a study month for their in-service exam. They have since gone back to their normal routine.

KK: Who told them to come back to work?

JW: They were pressured by [two members of Summa Health System’s senior leadership]. They were told that they could potentially lose their jobs if they didn’t come back into work.

KK: Did you have concerns that there was any undue influence over the negotiation process by those who might have had a conflict of interest?

JW: Absolutely that was one of our biggest concerns. The initial hospital contract team was the COO, who was new to her position within the last year or two. The biggest concern was the CMO of the hospital, who is the wife of the USACS CEO. She was directly involved with contract negotiations.

KK: So, from your perspective, she was involved with the negotiation? It’s not just that she works there?

JW: No, no, no. She was directly on the hospital’s contract negotiations team. The first conversation we had about the contract took place in November, and included me and the [Summa Health System] CMO and COO, about two to three weeks before we got the contract [Nov. 26]. We turned in our counterproposal on Dec. 12. They reviewed it on Dec. 14, and she was directly involved with that meeting.

65 doctors and USACS couldn't get any of them to stay. What does that say about your company? I'll be curious to see what the RRC thinks about this transition where every faculty member in the residency was replaced.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did the interview any of the vultures from summa health hospital management or USACS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
God, this is so dirty. I am geographically very close by.... Hearing a lot about of this. Summa leadership has been vocal trying to decent themselves but the local community seems to see through it based on commentary. Its so unfortunate.

When we won the RFP three years ago, we picked up three new emergency departments within Summa. All three are underperforming either financially and/or by volume.

Two weeks before we took over the Wadsworth contract, the hospital decided to get rid of inpatient beds; it took out 36 percent of the volume within that ER. The groups that were in there before us had asked for stipends or assistance. We did those contracts for three years, and lost between $8 million and $9 million. It cost us more to staff them, bill them, and malpractice them than we were receiving in revenue. There was nothing to cut from our end. We offset the losses with other departments that we run.

I'm not entirely sure what the solution should have been given this part of the exchange. The only way an EM group can flat-out lose money on one of the EDs is if they are paying their docs more than is coming in. So the only solutions are: A) pay the docs less B) get a subsidy to cover the difference or C) stop covering that ED. Sounds like the physician group didn't want to do A), wanted to stop doing B) out of their other revenue, and the hospital wasn't willing to do B) from their revenue or to do C). The hospital clearly acted poorly by delaying the negotiations to the last minute, but if it just came down to a simple revenue issue where they couldn't meet in the middle... Well, no one broke any laws.

It sounds like they couldn't figure out how to pay the existing doctors enough to stay. I don't blame them one bit for walking.

It is interesting to see how USACS plans to make money off of it. There is no way they can do it without substantial stipend from the hospital, or paying the doctors next to nothing. They are a high overhead company, taking 21% for "Management fee" and charging $7.00/chart for malpractice.

The only other alternative is for USACS to take a loss on the contract. I don't see why they would do that, as it's not like Summa is part of an HCA-style organization where they can dangle profitable contracts in exchange for taking the crappy ones.

I have no idea what happened or have friends involved. I find what happened very unusual and nothing the SDG, Hospital, or Incoming CMG wanted to happen.

The SDG and all of their doctors lost their job and income. I suspect a good amount of docs had little savings and could not afford to lose the contract. Also very unusual for none of them to cross the line. I get they likely had a noncompete, but SEA had no means to drag this through the courts.

The Hospital did not want the bad publicity, potential collapse of EM care, great uncertainty.

The CMG surely did not want to get dragged into this mess and get their reputation tainted.

It sounds like everyone was at fault. SEA and hospital played chicken. SEA thought the hospital would break but didn't. They thought if they played hard ball, it would work out in their favor. They just did not realize that they were David vs Goliath and most of the time Goliath wins. SEA seemed to believe they were worth more than they were.

ALL SDGs are dispensable.

I have no idea what happened or have friends involved. I find what happened very unusual and nothing the SDG, Hospital, or Incoming CMG wanted to happen.

The SDG and all of their doctors lost their job and income. I suspect a good amount of docs had little savings and could not afford to lose the contract. Also very unusual for none of them to cross the line. I get they likely had a noncompete, but SEA had no means to drag this through the courts.

The Hospital did not want the bad publicity, potential collapse of EM care, great uncertainty.

The CMG surely did not want to get dragged into this mess and get their reputation tainted.

It sounds like everyone was at fault. SEA and hospital played chicken. SEA thought the hospital would break but didn't. They thought if they played hard ball, it would work out in their favor. They just did not realize that they were David vs Goliath and most of the time Goliath wins. SEA seemed to believe they were worth more than they were.

ALL SDGs are dispensable.

What do you mean the CMG reputation? Lol

Did the interview any of the vultures from summa health hospital management or USACS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did read an interview somewhere from the new residency director....I think emra?

Why do you assume that? Aside from the fact that, on the whole, doctors are generally terrible with finance.

Why the hell is the CEO resigning and not the CMO (AKA the USACS CEO's wife) ?

Because I have worked for years with docs and I would say half could not go 3 months without a job