ACGME credit for AOA internships???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUCOM2003

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to get some info about ACGME residencies that require an internship year (ie: optho, neuro) AND allow the AOA internship to count towards that required year. Anybody know any particular programs, or how I can get info about those programs?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can get information from the AMA-FREIDA website at www.ama-assn.org/freida

For both optho and neuro the internship year is generally filled with a prelim spot in IM. But the osteopathic situation is unique in that you guys are supposed to do a rotating internship, so I'd contact the program and ask about that. I don't think MD students generally do a transitional year (that's the equivalent of a rotating internship) for the internship before starting a prorgam that begins PGY2.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Tim of New York City.

Hope I'm not too late to try and give an opinion. Many ACGME programs will accept you as a PGY-2 applicant (and many only accept you as PGY-2) meaning you can do the AOA required internship. Off the top of my head, I've seen EM, FP, and IM who do that. As always, contact the prospective program and see how they feel. Every program is different.