ACGME IM Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sorul

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a 3rd year looking for some advice regarding ACGME IM residency competitiveness. In a nutshell, my COMLEX Level 1 is in the 590s, my class rank is in the top 15%, and I have been involved with student government at my school. I'm almost finished with core rotations and I've earned at least an 89% on all of those.

Is it safe to apply to only ACGME programs or should I also apply for programs that are traditional DO?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I'm a 3rd year looking for some advice regarding ACGME IM residency competitiveness. In a nutshell, my COMLEX Level 1 is in the 590s, my class rank is in the top 15%, and I have been involved with student government at my school. I'm almost finished with core rotations and I've earned at least an 89% on all of those.

Is it safe to apply to only ACGME programs or should I also apply for programs that are traditional DO?

Thanks for any input.

What Is your USMLE score?

Any research?

There is a WAMC thread for IM here. You're best bet is to post your stats there and see where you stand: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-eternal-im-wamc-thread.1132592/

If you are applying broadly to community IM programs, I think you'd be fine applying only ACGME. Just make sure you are applying broadly, especially to programs known for taking DOs regularly. I'm assuming you don't have a USMLE, which was probably a mistake if you wanted ACGME IM only, but its over already, so just focus on applying broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would take Step 1 if you can. If not, take Step 2 to have a Step in your app. If you improve your board scores after CE/CK, combined with positive LORs, no red flags, honor IM, etc., you should get interviews at "mid/low-tier" programs when applying broadly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If you are applying broadly to community IM programs, I think you'd be fine applying only ACGME. Just make sure you are applying broadly, especially to programs known for taking DOs regularly. I'm assuming you don't have a USMLE, which was probably a mistake if you wanted ACGME IM only, but its over already, so just focus on applying broadly.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I've never really researched IM that much. What constitutes a community IM program?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I've never really researched IM that much. What constitutes a community IM program?

Non-university one honestly. There are a lot of community IM programs out there. They're just IM programs in community hospitals. They don't have the status of university academic programs, but many still provide great training and may even have opportunities for fellowship.

I'll give you an example of one in my neck of the woods that is pretty sought after by people at my school because of location, training, and fellowship opportunities:

IM at Allegheny General Hospital
https://www.ahn.org/education/gradu...sidencies/internal-medicine-residency-program

These types of IM programs tend to get a lot of IMGs (US and non-US) and DOs.

EDIT: Also it just occurred to me that my post makes it seem like OP has no chance at university programs. That's not really what I meant. OP could and probably should certainly apply to solid low to mid tier university programs that take DOs, but for good measure should have a decent number community programs on their list, because of the lack of USMLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Non-university one honestly. There are a lot of community IM programs out there. They're just IM programs in community hospitals. They don't have the status of university academic programs, but many still provide great training and may even have opportunities for fellowship.

I'll give you an example of one in my neck of the woods that is pretty sought after by people at my school because of location, training, and fellowship opportunities:

IM at Allegheny General Hospital
https://www.ahn.org/education/gradu...sidencies/internal-medicine-residency-program

These types of IM programs tend to get a lot of IMGs (US and non-US) and DOs.

EDIT: Also it just occurred to me that my post makes it seem like OP has no chance at university programs. That's not really what I meant. OP could and probably should certainly apply to solid low to mid tier university programs that take DOs, but for good measure should have a decent number community programs on their list, because of the lack of USMLE.

I agree, he should apply to university programs. Never know who will surprise you with an invite.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks to all for the information thus far. It's definitely opened my eyes to more programs.

Very informative list that doesn't suffer from the usual hyperbole associated with discussion of this topic.

Is UW for IM a top tier program or mid tier program? I recall you stated it was mid-tier in a past discussion we had.