ACGME vs. AASM Sleep Medicine Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any future plans to gradually phase out the AASM fellowships, and thus have the grads from ACGME sleep fellowships programs as the only ones eligible to sit for the sleep boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any future plans to gradually phase out the AASM fellowships, and thus have the grads from ACGME sleep fellowships programs as the only ones eligible to sit for the sleep boards?
The grandfathering period for the new sleep boards ends 2011, up until that time it is pretty easy to qualify for the sleep boards. As far as AASM vs. ACGME fellowships, per the ABIM: "Sleep medicine fellowship training undertaken July 1, 2009, and after must be accredited by ACGME."
Check the website for your primary specialty board to find detailed qualification requirements for the new sleep boards.

The grandfathering period for the new sleep boards ends 2011, up until that time it is pretty easy to qualify for the sleep boards. As far as AASM vs. ACGME fellowships, per the ABIM: "Sleep medicine fellowship training undertaken July 1, 2009, and after must be accredited by ACGME."
Check the website for your primary specialty board to find detailed qualification requirements for the new sleep boards.

So if an AASM sleep training program does not receive ACME accreditation status by 07/01/09, is such a fellowship essentially worthless for trainees (who complete such fellowship programs) who desire to become certified within sleep medicine?

Can a physician work at a sleep lab and get reimbursement upon completing a sleep medicine fellowship, but without obtaining sleep medicine board certification?

Also, in order to sit for the sleep boards, does one need to first get certified in their primary specialty (i.e. psychiatry)?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if an AASM sleep training program does not receive ACME accreditation status by 07/01/09, is such a fellowship essentially worthless for trainees (who complete such fellowship programs) who desire to become certified within sleep medicine?

Can a physician work at a sleep lab and get reimbursement upon completing a sleep medicine fellowship, but without obtaining sleep medicine board certification?

Also, in order to sit for the sleep boards, does one need to first get certified in their primary specialty (i.e. psychiatry)?

Training done in a non-ACGME fellowship after 7/1/09 is worthless. You need to be certified in your primary specialty to be elgible for the sleep boards (At the time I did the sleep boards, the old and the new boards, I was not yet board certified in psychiatry so I did them under my Internal Medicine boards). Yes, you can work at a sleep lab without being certified, most sleep labs require you to be board-elgible.

You need to be certified in your primary specialty to be elgible for the sleep boards (At the time I did the sleep boards, the old and the new boards, I was not yet board certified in psychiatry so I did them under my Internal Medicine boards).

Hey michaelrack, thanks for the informative replies!