Achiever test#1 Q#4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentista08

looking for a practice!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The static allele frequencies, leading possibly to threat of extinction among the cheetah population, is closely related to a condition called

genetic eq

explanation:
This question relates to the well-known Hardy-Weinberg theorem, asserting that population equilibrium (same allele and genotype frequencies in successive generations) remains constant in the absence of microevolution factors. Do not panic if you cannot find Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium as one of the answer choices. Question of this nature deliberately tests your ability to identify the closest alternative, which is none other than E alone.

what? How is threat of extinction closely related to genetic equilibrium- the H-W theorem, when H-W theorem states that no one should go extinct!!!??

Members don't see this ad.

what? How is threat of extinction closely related to genetic equilibrium- the H-W theorem, when H-W theorem states that no one should go extinct!!!??

I'm gonna take a guess here; hopefully someone else will chime in

From my understanding, the HW equilibirum states that the allele frequency within a population is the same with each generation meaning that the species is NOT evolving.... if the population of species is not evolving, then the odds of extinction are high since the species won't be able to adapt to the changing environment. Change in allele frequency is needed for evolution to go on...

You also have the understand that the HW equilibrium theorem is not realistic and can only occur under restricted conditions which would never occur in nature so it doesn't really state anything realisticly if that makes sense.

I think this would be the link between HW equilibirum and extinciton; hopefulyl someone corrects me or confirms cuz I'm curious about the reasoning in this question.

I'm gonna take a guess here; hopefully someone else will chime in

From my understanding, the HW equilibirum states that the allele frequency within a population is the same with each generation meaning that the species is NOT evolving.... if the population of species is not evolving, then the odds of extinction are high since the species won't be able to adapt to the changing environment. Change in allele frequency is needed for evolution to go on...

You also have the understand that the HW equilibrium theorem is not realistic and can only occur under restricted conditions which would never occur in nature so it doesn't really state anything realisticly if that makes sense.

I think this would be the link between HW equilibirum and extinciton; hopefulyl someone corrects me or confirms cuz I'm curious about the reasoning in this question.
ok that totally makes sense now. Of course they will die out since they cant evolve! What confused me is that- obviously HW equilibrium is not realistic, but extinction of species is. I kinda just thought everything was "happy go lucky" int he HW world lol. I did not consider that while the allele freq. stay the same, the environment doesn't...

glad that makes sense

can you post all the answer choices for that question?
sure the answer choices were
a. punctuated equilibrium
b. catastrophism
c. genetic variation
d. hybridization
e genetic equilibrium