Acid-Base vs Redox Reactions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mophead4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How exactly can you tell the difference between an acid-base reaction and a redox reaction, and, more specifically, how can you tell the difference a base and a reducing agent? Thanks in advance for all the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

How exactly can you tell the difference between an acid-base reaction and a redox reaction, and, more specifically, how can you tell the difference a base and a reducing agent? Thanks in advance for all the help! :)

In a redox reaction, oxidation states change.

HOOH + Ca -> Ca(OH)2 is a redox reaction, because O went from -1 to -2 and Ca went from 0 to +2.

Ca(OH)2 + 2 HCl -> CaCl2 + 2 H2O is an acid/base reaction because all of the oxidation states stay the same.

I read that somewhere, but I just wasn't sure if the website was a valid source. Thank you so much for the help! :)

When you have a reaction with a carbonyl and I think in general, you can use this to figure out if oxidation or reduction has occurred this way:

HLOG because Hydrogen Loss or Oxygen Gain on the Carbonyl is an oxidation

OR

HGOL because Hydrogen Gain and Oxygen Loss on the carbonyl carbon is a reduction