ack..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imokon

The Menstruosity
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
K, I did 2 years of anatomy, physiology, biochem, and histology (including human dissection and other labs) in a private egyptian university awarding an MBBS.

Recently i moved back to the US and was too late to register in a nearby university and wound up in a comm. college taking random courses (biology, chemistry, psychology, and college algebra).

My concern is that I have already spent 2 years and this fall semester and i believe that none of my credits might be transferred if i try to join pre-med.

It feels like a waste of time and funds really.

I can't really afford to lose more credit time. I'd really like to know if there are any universities out there that might accept the credits from egypt. Also wondering if I should join pre-med next semester or wait till next year.

Another thing, if i am to wait till next year, which electives should i eliminate by taking at the comm college?

Would really appreciate the advice
~Imokon

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about this, but I don't think any school will accept your overseas credits. Also, pre-med is an intention, not really a specific program. If you are planning to go to med school and taking steps to get there, you are pre-med. You don't have to join anything. It would be best for you to get into a 4 year university as soon as possible, though, since you will need a bachelor's degree in order to enter med school. Most schools require a year each of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics. Many require English and math. You can take a few of these at the community college, but make sure your credits will transfer to the university that you're going to start at.

Have you taken prereqs at community collge? those will be transferred. Also look into any university nearby, b/c they accept transfer students from comm. colleges and you will have to take less classes at university. I did that b/c it was much cheaper:1.5 years at community college and 2.5 at university. I took all prereqs for med school at community college, but organic chem. Needless to say those were easier classes than at university...
And adcoms do not care where you got yr science classes from as long as you have them. Also you can major in anything you want lie history or literature and be a pre-med at the same time...

Members don't see this ad :)
there will always be someone older than you applying to medicine anyway, so dont worry about the age factor. sure none of us want to feel like wasting time, but if you have to take extra time to get to your desired destination, then thats what you have to do.

i had to take 2 years off due to a family obligation. if i think about it...yeah i could have been starting my 3rd year in med school if i entered right away, but thats not how it turned out. I am going to be starting my first year this fall and even though it took me a couple more years to get here...i finally get the chance to become a doctor. and thats all that matters in the end.

Thanks guys. and yeah, i've come to accept the age factor thing. In then end, I know I could never go into dentistry or pharma. I just can't bear the thought. Even if I just do medical research for a living, so long as it's just medicine that i'm heading into.

btw, no one around here in Houston? I'd appreciate an insiders view on the Uni's here too..