Acland's DVD Atlas of Human Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohova2g

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Its good. But I would figure out a way to divide up the price with others.

It's made my study of anatomy much more efficient.

The DVDs aren't supposed to be a replacement for your course notes and atlases, but once you watch it, it will create a visual in your mind that will persist long after you've forgotten specific facts. If you view the DVDs once before tackling the topic, it will cut down your study time dramatically.

For example, I used to find the relationship of the abdominal organs and the two layers of peritoneum conceptually difficult. I read several pages in Moore's anatomy and studied the Netter plates, but I can't say I really understood it until I watched the relevant section on the DVD.

The presenter dissects a fresh, unenbalmed specimen in its living color (except vessels which have had latex injections), and it's like you're doing the dissection, except that the presenter (who is a retired surgeon) is doing it perfectly and showing all the important structures.

I would highly recommend it. I bought my set (6 discs) for $120 on ebay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check with your med libary to see if they already have it. At my school they had online through the library so you could download all the video clips on your computer. I never did get through all of them, but I think it helped me out a lot. Moore really was not that helpful. I just used our class notes service and those videos.

i used it and loved it. i would watch it right before going in to dissect and it made me feel much less clueless.

its also awesome to look at right before lab practicals.

together with Rohens' you should be good to go.

try demonoid.com for disks 1-5.

lil pook said:
i used it and loved it. i would watch it right before going in to dissect and it made me feel much less clueless.

its also awesome to look at right before lab practicals.

together with Rohens' you should be good to go.

did you take notes as you were watching the DVDs or did you just watch them to get a comprehensive picture of the dissection? I purchased the DVDs and want to know the best way to use them.

Thanks!!!

Thanks!! I was going to buy it this week. You just saved me $180!!

Members don't see this ad :)
anon-y-mouse said:
Anyone else think that man has such a soothing voice? He's such a kind grandfatherly figure!

Almost sensuous...

arrggghh! I just bought the mf-er 160 (that I don't have) wasted

beefballs said:
arrggghh! I just bought the mf-er 160 (that I don't have) wasted

How can you compare DVD quality video to 320 x 240 pixel screen on your computer?

If you bought the DVDs, I'd say it's well worth the money. Try watching the section on the muscles on the neck, and see how much detail is visible with the tiny screen..

I wouldn't be upset.. if anything, the free videos online should make more people (who weren't aware of the DVDs) go and purchase them.

great links!!! thanks dude...
the UW one is actually a much bigger screen.

demonoid.com will take forever
can anyone here sell me a set please :cool: pm me and we will talk about the price... :smuggrin:

vincikai said:
demonoid.com will take forever
can anyone here sell me a set please :cool: pm me and we will talk about the price... :smuggrin:

true, but they're "free" and the DVDs.

I tried to open the gross anatomy page from Wisconsins website and it just keeps giving me this pop up message to "click to run an ActiveX control on this webpage" and I press "ok" and the message keeps coming back. no matter how many times I press OK the message doesnt go away and then the page gets closed suddenly accompanied by an error message that an error has occured and windows need to shut down internet explorer. Whats wrong with my computer??

The other website works fine and I can see the videos but I cant open UW's page to see the larger version.

Thanks! :)

Ezekiel20 said:
How can you compare DVD quality video to 320 x 240 pixel screen on your computer?

If you bought the DVDs, I'd say it's well worth the money. Try watching the section on the muscles on the neck, and see how much detail is visible with the tiny screen..

I wouldn't be upset.. if anything, the free videos online should make more people (who weren't aware of the DVDs) go and purchase them.
thank you for helping me rationalize another impulsive purchase

DrZee... I had the same issue. It stems from your computers security settings regarding ActiveX controls. You can go into the Tools>Internet Options>Security tab on your browser to allow ActiveX controls to run without prompting, and that'll eliminate the issue. On the other hand, some websites can run malicious ActiveX controls, so I wouldn't leave it that way after looking at the site.

Other alternative: it took about 30 clicks to get through all the controls on that page, but I didn't have to relax my security settings.

Use whichever works for you.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you can actually save these videos to your computer, and be able to increase the size of the screen. anyway, thanks to guy who posted the link. It took me about 3 hours to save all the files to computer, but well worth the time.

dbzgohan said:
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you can actually save these videos to your computer, and be able to increase the size of the screen. anyway, thanks to guy who posted the link. It took me about 3 hours to save all the files to computer, but well worth the time.

Approximately how much hard drive space did all of those files take up? There are so many links on the Acland's website :eek:

DoctorDolittle said:
Approximately how much hard drive space did all of those files take up? There are so many links on the Acland's website :eek:

not much at all, 1.28 Gigs, what took so long was organizing, and renaming files.