ACLS: To renew or not to renew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.evil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well my ACLS certification that I acquired prior to 4th year of med school is good until July 2003. My residency program is giving the ACLS during orientation but would not be REQUIRED by me until next year.

MY QUESTION: Would it behoove me to renew my ACLS prior to internship simply because my previous ACLS program was pretty weak (and I don't remember squat)? Or should I just take that time and golf prior to the madness? I'm a little worried about not being fresh on all of that ACLS crap. OR should I just skim my ACLS book?

Anyone in the same boat? Am I worrying for no reason? Shock, shock, shock, epi, shock, lidocaine, shock, and now amiodarone? Anything else I need to know?

I think I just need something minor to stress about. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how often you think you might use it. Refresh my memory as to what field you matched in? Since your residency program might require it as part of orientation (ie, you'll have to be in town those two days anyway) it might behoove you to do it now, or at least just show for the last day - the exam.

If they don't require you to do it before starting, then consider relaxing as I'm sure you'll remember enough (and also remember that as an intern you will rarely be running the code, unless you somehow come upon a coding individual - most places have a "code team" who are first responders).

I will be partaking in the hell for which you signed up Kimberli!!! Surgery. Although I don't think plastics will be my fellowship. :)

I think you are probably right though. I have to be there for orientation anyway so I might as well refresh my memory. Plus, I'll have to take ATLS soon thereafter so I might as well prepare for the madness.

"Code Teams" are a good thing. As I've been told by many residents, "There are two rules in a code: #1 When there's a code, WALK SLOWLY to the code. #2 If you walked too fast, the first step is to take your own pulse first." :D :wink:

(I hope I don't get flamed for this.) :confused: