ACOM or Touro NY-Middletown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What reputation? The one on SDN from premeds and Goro? Their opinions don't matter. Picking a school from an anonymous forums opinion is a poor way to go about life.

I was thinking more along the lines that they fail step 2 at a point that should be criminal and that they only had 100 advanced matches in a class of 130 students.

The first one points to failing in the curriculum and the second points to something obviously wrong with their 4th year process. Are they allowed electives? Is their MSPE late? Do they not get a flexible interview month? Something has to be incredibly wrong for 25% of their class to not get an advanced spot!

Members don't see this ad.

Not arguing about reputation, but pointing out how many applicants is a pretty poor way of arguing school prestige. Location matters a lot and NYC is a desirable place. And you'd think Drexel is the best medical school in the United States given its 14k+ applications.

There are many DO and MD medical schools in NY.

Numbers don't lie, the school can't be that bad with that amount of volume of applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many DO and MD medical schools in NY.

Numbers don't lie, the school can't be that bad with that amount of volume of applicants

Yeah no. Number of applicants means nothing. They get a ton of apps because they are a school that accepts a lot of OOS and they are located in NYC. That is literally it. Their step 2 pass rates are atrocious.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah no. Number of applicants means nothing. They get a ton of apps because they are a school that accepts a lot of OOS and they are located in NYC. That is literally it. Their step 2 pass rates are atrocious.

Everyone knows Step 1 is harder and more important in residency applications than Step 2.

Everyone knows Step 1 is harder and more important in residency applications than Step 2.

Be that as it may, failing any USMLE or COMLEX exam looks very bad.

Last edited:

That has nothing to do with anything. Failing any Step screws you over big time, and Step 2 can be more important than 1 in certain fields like EM. They weigh Step 2 very highly. In addition, Step 2 CK is the test that correlates best to clinical ability (step 1 has NO correlation according to multiple studies), and for a school to have only an ~80% pass rate means they are doing something wrong with their clinical education.

Again, just because a school gets a ton of applicants means nothing to how good of a school it is. It is almost always an issue of location.

If anything I feel like Touro has a better rep than acom and I think it sounds more legit saying I go to touro than acom

I talked to current students who said their clinical are legit and they have no complaints is there a source for the rotation info?

I got off the waitlist today so now I have a week to decide between these two and I'm super torn

Try to get in contact with current Touro NY students to hear pros/cons from the horse's mouth. Again, every school has their ups and downs.

Take everything you read and hear from SDN with a grain of salt

Try to get in contact with current Touro NY students to hear pros/cons from the horse's mouth. Again, every school has their ups and downs.

Take everything you read and hear from SDN with a grain of salt
I've heard only good things from touro students and I've been in contact with 7 of them... they all told me that the upset people who didn't plan ahead/get spoon fed were the ones saying awful things because they weren't getting things their way even though it was their own fault.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with ACOM. It might be newer but you will avoid all the mess that comes with touro and its giant cooporation. You will have been clinical sites at ACOM

Just a reminder-Touro Middletown does not have all the issues that Harlem has. Ask the Touro haters what our match list looks like

Just a reminder-Touro Middletown does not have all the issues that Harlem has. Ask the Touro haters what our match list looks like

Y’all haven’t even graduated a class yet, sitchoass down

Yeah when at the interview someone asked where the best BBQ place in town was, the answer was Dickies.... I mean Dickies is good for a chain but if I'm in the south I want a place with styrofoam, tinfoil, and sauce that runs all over my face.

Sounds like you talked to someone that doesn't get out much. Dothan has BBQ covered. BBQ Shack and Johnny B Smokin are local places complete with Styrofoam cups and plates.

Lots of chains for sure, but there's real BBQ here.

Y’all haven’t even graduated a class yet, sitchoass down

One student from Touro Middletown matched into Neurosurgery in the AOA match, I know it’s AOA but still impressive!

I anticipate many more impressive matches in the ACGME match on March 16th.

Reactions: 1 users
One student from Touro Middletown matched into Neurosurgery in the AOA match, I know it’s AOA but still impressive!

I anticipate many more impressive matches in the ACGME match on March 16th.
How do you know that? Is the AOA match info out? I was accepted to Middletown back in the Fall and am now waiting to hear back from Nova.

How do you know that? Is the AOA match info out? I was accepted to Middletown back in the Fall and am now waiting to hear back from Nova.

If they are a student then they are aware of impressive matches. It trickles down

Last edited:
Can confirm on the NS match at Middletown. I believe there was also an ortho match at PCOM.

What are your sources?

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...6/10-medical-schools-with-the-most-applicants

TouroCOM-NY is top 3 that get the most med school applicants
I don't know what his sources are but AFAIK that school is troubled - starting from it's last year scandal with accepted students and ending with dean of middleton having a sexual harrasment scandal from his previous place of work that he got fired from. I'm not telling details and such, but google is free for everyone.

That been said I would choose touro still - just because it's in NY - but that's just me