ACOM vs ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deb1258

Reaction score
Hi friends!

I've been fortunate enough to be accepted at both ACOM and ARCOM. I need to put down a deposit soon but I can't decide between the two schools. Would you guys please help me decide? If you have insights between these two schools, please help me out!

ARCOM

Pros:
  • Really community focused.
  • People are really nice at the school when I visited. The student seems to be happy with the school. During my interview day, the students just randomly stops by and encouraged us, which was nice.
  • Really nice facility with new technology
  • Good rotation sites set up.
  • Cheap COL ($500-700 rent/ month) and tuition ($43k)
  • Brand new research building so I'm sure plenty of research opportunities here.
  • Helix curriculum. 3 pass over the materials. (I'm not sure if they recycle old board questions for exams or not?)
  • Private and non-profit
  • Good wellness program
Cons:
  • New school. Have not graduate a class yet but will graduate in 2021. So, I think full accreditation won't be an issue
  • No data about match... so kinda nervous about this.
  • Ok Complex score but not the greatest. But new school so I'm sure they're working out the kinks in the curriculum
  • Mandatory lecture if you fall below 80%
  • Mandatory dress code

ACOM

Pros:
  • Close in proximity to a large teaching hospital
  • Staff seems pro students
  • Cheap COL
  • Decent amount of people match to different specialties other than primary care
  • Also have research opportunities here
  • More established than ARCOM
  • Decent board passing rate. but Level 2 PE dropped a lot this year (85%).. not sure why?
Cons:
  • $10k more expensive than ARCOM. So, over 4 years, $40k more than ARCOM.
  • Not really sure about the environment at the school b/c I didn't get the chance to visit
  • Large class size (200+) vs ARCOM with (150) - I don't think it will make a big difference tho
  • Mandatory lecture and dress code

Summary: I am kinda leaning towards ARCOM just because I was able to go to the school and got the feel of the staff and location. The only thing holds me back is no data due to being new. I would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools have their share of problems, but ACOM is the better school between the two if you can stomach the increased tuition cost.

Reactions: 1 user
Both schools have their share of problems, but ACOM is the better school between the two if you can stomach the increased tuition cost.
Can you please elaborate more on the problems? Thanks so much! I both had a great interview experience with both... so it's kinda hard for me to pick..

I would encourage you to peruse ACOM's residency and match data Match as well as their COMLEX data COMLEX.

ACOM continues to match students with lower than average pass rates. Where are the data for their COMLEX average scores? Have they been able to match students in areas outside of primary care?

As for ARCOM, they've made good strides with 2 years' worth of data on COMLEX: COMLEX. Where are the data for COMLEX average scores? They have no match data since they haven't graduated a class. Will they be able to match in areas outside of primary care?

Some additional information to consider (there are many more questions that can be asked but aren't listed below):

Years 3 and 4: How many core rotations are required? Is there a standardized curriculum for years 3 and 4? Do students have to find their own preceptors? Does the school encourage audition rotations? Do students get to rotate at programs with residents? Does the school help you prep your application or practice interviews for residency?

Research: Opportunities at both schools are limited for on campus research even if they have fancy toys and lots of space, but that's what you get at a newer DO school with large class sizes. More important questions to ask: How many investigators at each school have funding to even be able to take students for more than a 4 to 6-week rotation? Are there graduate students, post-docs, or technicians that can help when investigators are busy teaching or doing administrative work? Do students publish or present at national meetings? If so, how many students per class and how many publications can be expected? Is research built into the curriculum in any way?

COVID Response: What was attendance mandate like during current pandemic? In-person, online, or hybrid? How were students out on rotation handled during COVID? Did they continue hands-on training or shift to online didactics?

With Step 1 going P/F, will COMLEX scores become more important than pass rates for DO students? Are board questions built into the curriculum? How long is dedicated study period at end of year 2? Are any board resources provided to students by the school? What percentage of students take USMLE at each school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage you to peruse ACOM's residency and match data Match as well as their COMLEX data COMLEX.

ACOM continues to match students with lower than average pass rates. Where are the data for their COMLEX average scores? Have they been able to match students in areas outside of primary care?

As for ARCOM, they've made good strides with 2 years' worth of data on COMLEX: COMLEX. Where are the data for COMLEX average scores? They have no match data since they haven't graduated a class. Will they be able to match in areas outside of primary care?

Some additional information to consider (there are many more questions that can be asked but aren't listed below):

Years 3 and 4: How many core rotations are required? Is there a standardized curriculum for years 3 and 4? Do students have to find their own preceptors? Does the school encourage audition rotations? Do students get to rotate at programs with residents? Does the school help you prep your application or practice interviews for residency?

Research: Opportunities at both schools are limited for on campus research even if they have fancy toys and lots of space, but that's what you get at a newer DO school with large class sizes. More important questions to ask: How many investigators at each school have funding to even be able to take students for more than a 4 to 6-week rotation? Are there graduate students, post-docs, or technicians that can help when investigators are busy teaching or doing administrative work? Do students publish or present at national meetings? If so, how many students per class and how many publications can be expected? Is research built into the curriculum in any way?

COVID Response: What was attendance mandate like during current pandemic? In-person, online, or hybrid? How were students out on rotation handled during COVID? Did they continue hands-on training or shift to online didactics?

With Step 1 going P/F, will COMLEX scores become more important than pass rates for DO students? Are board questions built into the curriculum? How long is dedicated study period at end of year 2? Are any board resources provided to students by the school? What percentage of students take USMLE at each school?
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up for me. These are such thoughtful questions that I should think about. I looked at your post history, and it seems like you are a student of ACOM. Would you mind give me some insights regarding the resources that ACOM provides to prep you for boards? Your honest thoughts about the school? Are you happy with your decision? For exams, do the professors write your exams, or they use old board questions for the exams? I've heard that ACOM doesn't pay for the COMLEX exam anymore? How do you feel about the quality of the rotation sites? In general, do you feel that the quality of the teaching staff and administrative staff is up to par with your expectations? I would love to hear your honest thoughts if you have the time. Thanks so much again!

I am not a student nor have I ever been a student at either of these schools, but I am familiar with both programs.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up for me. These are such thoughtful questions that I should think about. I looked at your post history, and it seems like you are a student of ACOM. Would you mind give me some insights regarding the resources that ACOM provides to prep you for boards? Your honest thoughts about the school? Are you happy with your decision? For exams, do the professors write your exams, or they use old board questions for the exams? I've heard that ACOM doesn't pay for the COMLEX exam anymore? How do you feel about the quality of the rotation sites? In general, do you feel that the quality of the teaching staff and administrative staff is up to par with your expectations? I would love to hear your honest thoughts if you have the time. Thanks so much again!
No schools pay for you to take the test, at least to my knowledge

I am also having a hard time making this same decision. I was very impressed with ARCOM's first match and the fact that they are dedicated to staying in person as long as possible. I had a better overall feel when I was at ARCOM but I don't want to pick a school solely on the fact that I "felt better" there. I know medical school is not going to be easy no matter where I go, and I want to get the best education/experience I can. If anyone has any more insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am also having a hard time making this same decision. I was very impressed with ARCOM's first match and the fact that they are dedicated to staying in person as long as possible. I had a better overall feel when I was at ARCOM but I don't want to pick a school solely on the fact that I "felt better" there. I know medical school is not going to be easy no matter where I go, and I want to get the best education/experience I can. If anyone has any more insight I'd greatly appreciate it.
Trust me once you actually start medical school you won't want to be in person. Also doing more in-person than necessary during a global pandemic was just stupid. Both schools are okay, the only thing is ACOM has matched more classes but they have similar match rates so yeah I would go with what you feel is best.