ACOM vs ATSU-SOMA (Mesa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstranger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was accepted of the WL at ATSU-Soma Mesa yesterday and trying to make a fast decision here. I think both have pretty good board scores and both have decent match lists. I have been planning ACOM for months now so I was pretty set on ACOM so just trying to get an honest assessment. Also, I did not go to the dean's dinner for ATSU-soma so never toured the campus or anything like that just interview day, so I would appreciate ATSU student input

ACOM
Pros
about 8 k less a year that ATSU
The campus had a good vibe to it
Interesting incorporation of sims lab and clinical skills lab
extended family in the area
established rotation sites and some with residencies
Great matches the last few years especially for only having matched 4 classes so far.
I loved everyone I meet at the interview just a very positive staff and student population

Cons
Dothan is a small town, not a ton to do without driving
Far away from my immediate family

ATSU-SOMA (Mesa)
Pros

Incorporation of CHC seems pretty cool
1+3 curriculum (although it seems like its pretty traditional you just do remote learning for year 2)
My family in CA and wife's in AZ
Early use of CHC might be beneficial as step 1 becomes P/F and more emphasis is on step 2 CK
Currently, I live in Mesa 10 min from campus and actually work and have connections at Mayo AZ right now.

Cons
8k more in tuition and about 15-20k more in total COL
only 1 year in Mesa than you move to CHC
because I just got off waitlist only very podunk CHC's are available I can be waitlisted for others but once school starts its final

Edit: added Poll

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ACOM is still a decent school. ATSU-SOMA is too expensive. Otherwise it's a good school too. I would go with the least amount of loans in this case.

ACOM is still a decent school. ATSU-SOMA is too expensive. Otherwise it's a good school too. I would go with the least amount of loans in this case.
Thanks! I appreciate your input in all the DO Forums. And yeah Even with family closer I can't justify the huge COL difference and I do not mind Dothan that much!

Reactions: 1 user
I would say go with Mesa. For starters, you have an established support system in AZ with your wife and family in CA. While yes it’s about 15-20k more expensive COL over 4 years, I would say it’s not the WORST situation to be in. You say you have connections to Mayo AZ, perhaps that can turn into research down the road? What specialties are you interested in? I got into KCOM and applied to Mesa but wasn’t a big fan on the 1+3 curriculum, so I’d be weary of that. I like that ACOM has established rotation sites versus the ones at Mesa, so to me that’s where ACOM wins it for me. But overall I think you’ll have to look at other factors like family or educational opportunities, but if I were you I’d go Mesa just due to the family aspect since that’s very important to me at least. AZ will grant you many research opportunities since they have good hospital systems with residencies attached.

Members don't see this ad :)