ACOM vs AZCOM (Midwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

get.reddy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I could really use some fresh inputs to make this decision.

ACOM
Pros: Cheaper tuition, $56k per year
Cons: in Dothan, Alabama

AZCOM
Pros: I hear their students are able to get into more competitive residencies - is this because the school has better connections to residency programs?
In a big city, close to hometown in Arizona.
Has good research opportunities.
Cons: $76k per year

I have a feeling that the research opportunities and (potentially) slight edge in residency placement is not worth $80k extra. Or is it?

I just want to keep my career options open. I am thinking to aim for a somewhat competitive specialty such as radiology. Will one school or the other really make a difference in my path? What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The extra cost of AZCOM is not worth it usually when compared to solid schools like ACOM. If you are able to live somewhere inexpensive or for free since AZCOM is close by to your hometown, that could help. Otherwise, the approximately 400k cost over 4 years does not look so good.

Reactions: 1 user
AZCOM matches well, but since you're looking at moderately competitive specialties, most DO schools should be fine imo.

My buddy just matched his #1 choice for Derm from ACOM. Solid school. AZCOM is wayy too expensive.