ACOM vs BCOM vs MUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emky

Reaction score
I've been accepted to both ACOM and BCOM and I interviewed at MUCOM and I am waiting to hear back. Please help me decide between these school.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I'd choose MUCOM > ACOM > BCOM
But honestly, I think you'll be fine wherever you go. Other things to consider would be the cost of living and tuition (cheaper is better), and where you would wanna end up doing residency (East coast, West coast, Midwest, South). Each school will have an area of the country where most of their students match into residency, and it's most likely in areas and states close to the school. It doesn't hurt to take a look at the school's recent match list either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I'd choose MUCOM > ACOM > BCOM
But honestly, I think you'll be fine wherever you go. Other things to consider would be the cost of living and tuition (cheaper is better), and where you would wanna end up doing residency (East coast, West coast, Midwest, South). Each school will an area of the country where most of their students match into residency, and it's most likely in areas and states close to the school. It doesn't hurt to take a look at the school's recent match list either.
After visiting the MUCOM campus I was very drawn to the school. I wasn't able to visit ACOm due to COVID19 so right now I'm leaning towards Mucom as well but they haven't given me a decision yet. Fingers crossed it's an acceptance. Also thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you even consider BCOM? Have you seen their most recent board passage rates? LOWEST PASSAGE RATE OF ANY SCHOOL THAT POSTED. Have you seen how many of their students matched? The article I read said over 120. To me that means less than 130. Assuming a starting class of 162, well that's not an assumption we know that's the number. If 121 students matched that means about 25% of their students never made it. 25%!!!!! 1 in 4 that is atrocious! You would be better off taking a year off and improving your application before taking the risk that BCOM statistically presents.
Just copy pasting what I said in another thread in response to this exact message:

While I don't condone schools having super low board pass rate and super low 4-year graduation rate. BCOM match list looked really good for a DO school regardless though. Also, they probably admitted a lot of students with low stats for that inaugural class too which would explain those numbers. Plus, most of those in the 25% are probably just delayed 1 or 2 years and will still be able to do at least Family medicine with their degree. I would give BCOM a few more years to see if they improve or not before making a definitive judgment. But for now, I liked the outcome of those that made it. OP if you work hard, you will most likely make it. Just go in eyes open.

Edit: Also don't condone the school for profit status, but RVU is also for-profit and a good school. So I guess we'll see if BCOM improves and keep having decent match list like that in the future.

Why would you even consider BCOM? Have you seen their most recent board passage rates? LOWEST PASSAGE RATE OF ANY SCHOOL THAT POSTED. Have you seen how many of their students matched? The article I read said over 120. To me that means less than 130. Assuming a starting class of 162, well that's not an assumption we know that's the number. If 121 students matched that means about 25% of their students never made it. 25%!!!!! 1 in 4 that is atrocious! You would be better off taking a year off and improving your application before taking the risk that BCOM statistically presents.
Yeah I saw how bad their stats were but I liked the school and was willing to give it a chance but after the match results I got a little turned off. In the end I decided to go to MUCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Just copy pasting what I said in another thread in response to this exact message:

While I don't condone schools having super low board pass rate and super low 4-year graduation rate. BCOM match list looked really good for a DO school regardless though. Also, they probably admitted a lot of students with low stats for that inaugural class too which would explain those numbers. Plus, most of those in the 25% are probably just delayed 1 or 2 years and will still be able to do at least Family medicine with their degree. I would give BCOM a few more years to see if they improve or not before making a definitive judgment. But for now, I liked the outcome of those that made it. OP if you work hard, you will most likely make it. Just go in eyes open.

Edit: Also don't condone the school for profit status, but RVU is also for-profit and a good school. So I guess we'll see if BCOM improves and keep having decent match list like that in the future.
Yeah I saw how bad their stats were but I liked the school and was willing to give it a chance but after the match results I got a little turned off. In the end I decided to go to MUCOM.

Do either of you know where someone could find a complete match list for BCOM? I'm trying to figure out whether I should even consider going there.

Do either of you know where someone could find a complete match list for BCOM? I'm trying to figure out whether I should even consider going there.
Complete list:

Some highlight of their match list:
Urology
Mainline Health

Dermatology
Honor Health

Ophthalmology
Loma Linda University

Radiology
Mt. Sinai
Univ Illinois
Penn State