ACOM vs LMU-DCOM (Knoxville)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grifalicious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
ACOM

Pros:
  • Nice Facilities w/ sim center, TBL rooms, anatomy lab, etc.
  • Tuition includes laptop, iPad, board prep materials
  • Established clinical rotations
  • Convenient on-campus housing (but I've heard it's quite a bit more expensive than other nearby housing)
  • Strong performance on board exams and match list
  • Welcoming community
Cons:
  • Smaller town (~70k vs 190k)
  • Further from family/support system (10 hours vs 5/6 hours, so not too big of a difference)
  • Mandatory attendance (I've heard 60% or so, maybe changing?)
  • Dress code (but it seems very lax)

LMU-DCOM

Pros:
  • Nice new facilities w/ sim center, exam suites, anatomy lab, etc.
  • Located in a larger city w/ more to do
  • Only about 30 minutes from some family in Tenn
  • Welcoming community
  • No mandatory attendance or dress code (that I've seen)
Cons:
  • Clinical rotations don't seem as established as ACOM
  • Weaker board performance than ACOM
  • Campus in Knoxville is quite new, not really established
  • Would have ~50% of lectures streamed in from Harrogate (not too sure if this would be a con/problem)

Summary: I'm leaning towards ACOM due to the stronger clinical rotations and board performance (and tuition/COA seem similar at both), but I'm not sure if the dress code and mandatory attendance are deal-breakers. They don't seem too bad to me, but neither did 8 am classes in undergrad while I was in high school.... I have until 12/14 to decide and pay my ACOM deposit, and I would really appreciate some advice/help in making this decision. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If most things are equal in your mind, go with the school that has graduated a class. You want to avoid a new school if you have the option.

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest ACOM but their board exam scores in many cases are below the national average. Which is odd considering they provide all these academic resources. LMU should have a BEWARE sign though. Last last resort especially if it is the new campus you are referring to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for all of the replies and votes! I have decided to put down my deposit at ACOM and decline my acceptance to LMU-DCOM.

Reactions: 2 users
Why do you say avoid LMU? What are the red flags I'm missing?
+1 I too would like to know what separates ACOM from the pack. LMU is actually a bit older!
ACOM's a fairly new school, but I see people talk about it like it's a pretty good program, (not usually the case with newer programs).

+1 I too would like to know what separates ACOM from the pack. LMU is actually a bit older!
ACOM's a fairly new school, but I see people talk about it like it's a pretty good program, (not usually the case with newer programs).
ACOM came about in the opposite manner from most medical schools. Instead of the school opening and then trying to foster relationships for clinical rotations, the rotations were already established (someone who knows more can elaborate here). The school was opened later to provide more students for those rotations and residencies. This gives ACOM an advantage over most newer programs, as they already have established clinical rotations.

While ACOM's board scores might not be the best, they are fairly close to the national average. For me, the school and community just seemed really welcoming on my interview day. From what I understand, LMU doesn't have the best rotations and they have some warning/caution with their accreditation. I liked what I saw on my interview day, but ACOM just seemed like the better school to me. Another thing is that the specific campus that I got into (Knoxville) is quite new-- I believe they've only been open a few years (haven't graduated a class yet). ACOM has had fairly strong match lists, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users