ACOM vs NSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nooneyouknow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions on ACOM vs NSUCOM, just got off the waitlist on NSUCOM today and so wanted to pick the brain of some SDNers.

Though ACOM is relatively new, from my visit there the institution seemed to have everything together. The facilities were very modern, the students were friendly, and the affiliation with SAMC was very appealing. They have established IM residencies at SAMC and I believe they're planning to establish FM as well. I have no problem with the city of Dothan, and from what I understand ACOM's rotations are solid due to their hold through AMEC on Alabama sites.

I was also impressed with the campus of NSUCOM. It really had an undergrad campus feel with it along with the resources that go with it but I don't think it'll matter much if I'm studying indoors all day. I am concerned with the decreasing COMLEX pass rates throughout the last couple years, but I understand that NSUCOM's rotations are also top notch. I am concerned that the establishment of the branch campus as well as NSU's MD school will really dilute the quality of education there. I also heard that the new on campus hospital being built will be used exclusively for the MD students during my interview. Fort Lauderdale is a nice city, but I am not the partying type and so I would not be yearning to go out every week. It is also tough for me to justify the tuition difference being OOS.

I have no preference for BBQ or Cuban food, they are both delicious to me.
My interest lies in pursuing family med.
I felt that both institutions would give me quality education, but maybe I'm not seeing the big picture.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to get some opinions on ACOM vs NSUCOM, just got off the waitlist on NSUCOM today and so wanted to pick the brain of some SDNers.

Though ACOM is relatively new, from my visit there the institution seemed to have everything together. The facilities were very modern, the students were friendly, and the affiliation with SAMC was very appealing. They have established IM residencies at SAMC and I believe they're planning to establish FM as well. I have no problem with the city of Dothan, and from what I understand ACOM's rotations are solid due to their hold through AMEC on Alabama sites.

I was also impressed with the campus of NSUCOM. It really had an undergrad campus feel with it along with the resources that go with it but I don't think it'll matter much if I'm studying indoors all day. I am concerned with the decreasing COMLEX pass rates throughout the last couple years, but I understand that NSUCOM's rotations are also top notch. I am concerned that the establishment of the branch campus as well as NSU's MD school will really dilute the quality of education there. I also heard that the new on campus hospital being built will be used exclusively for the MD students during my interview. Fort Lauderdale is a nice city, but I am not the partying type and so I would not be yearning to go out every week. It is also tough for me to justify the tuition difference being OOS.

I felt that both institutions would give me quality education, but maybe I'm not seeing the big picture.
Based on your post your leaning towards ACOM, I’d pick ACOM (that’s also where I’m going)

Since location isn’t a factor:
Look into things like health insurance, laptop being supplied (especially since you have to take exams on laptops using a required platform), tuition difference, COMLEX prep (ie 4 weeks of no class to prep for comlex, some schools make you do both with no time off)

Laptop being supplied and health insurance just comes back down to COA since I could always buy my own.
I believe ACOM has the WOLFPACC program for prep, on the other hand NSUCOM has had COMLEX scores trending down the past few years.

So I suppose you are suggesting there is no benefit of going to NSUCOM then?

Laptop being supplied and health insurance just comes back down to COA since I could always buy my own.
I believe ACOM has the WOLFPACC program for prep, on the other hand NSUCOM has had COMLEX scores trending down the past few years.

So I suppose you are suggesting there is no benefit of going to NSUCOM then?
I’m not saying that, NSU is a great school I’m just saying pick based on added perks. Also, the atmosphere, how did you feel at each school? Welcomed by faculty/students, fake “friendlyness”.

Also, a school that offers you a laptop/health insurance does so so that you don’t have to scramble to do it yourself. You’ll have to download their required exam platform and from experience I have lost two computers. Acom offered 100% compatable equipment along with booms you’ll need. They offer the option of increasing you financial aid award to cover expenses like car troubles, child care, residency interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

So what school did you choose?