• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

ACOM vs PCOM-South Georgia

softboiledegg

Mar 12, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, I already paid a deposit for PCOM-South Georgia but was also recently accepted by ACOM! Please see my attached weighted decision chart for the pros and cons of each school. Each criteria is weighted 1-5 and completely subjective, so I'd also appreciate input on whether I should adjust the weights.

To clarify my justification for some of the criteria:
-Name "Prestige": The school's name being more widely recognized may be helpful for residency placement and eventual job searching
-Tuition: Including overall cost of living, ACOM is $8,000 more expensive per year
-Rotations: Number of sites/relations with sites
-Research: Established research department with resources to help students find research
-Established Years: Which school has been around longer? Does it matter that PCOM was around for longer if their branch location is brand new?
-Later Start Date: More time for me to prepare for the move. I've got 3 weeks to figure out where to live if I go to ACOM, and over a month for PCOM-South Georgia.

I'm currently interested in orthopedic surgery residency, so I was also wondering how the merger, Step 1 P/F, research opportunities, and audition rotation sites affect DO chances? Thank you so much! ACOM_vs_PCOM_SouthGeorgia.PNG

robinson annulation

2+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2017
somewhere
  1. Medical Student
i'd say PCOM-SGA.

even though SGA is a new campus, it's still under the PCOM umbrella so i'm assuming everything is the same across all 3 campuses as far as opportunities are concerned. PCOM has a pretty reputable name as well.

both schools also have excellent match lists so it'd be hard to differentiate based on that.

Iux

2+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2018
  1. Medical Student
ACOM for sure since it’s more established. Pcom-sga and Pcom-ga do not equal Pcom. They have different deans/resources and should be considered separate programs. Another reason not to go to Pcom-sga is the fact that you’ll be competing with Pcom-ga for rotation sites. ACOM has strong rotation sites that pretty much belong to them through AMEC. Also, with step 2 becoming even more important for our class, it’s better to go to a program that has a strong clinical curriculum. If for anything at all, ACOM has the edge over Pcom-sga in this regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.