Acquiring New York state residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoyBasch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if any of you could confirm or deny a fact I have heard about New York state residency. I am not a NYS resident, but I have heard that it can be acquired after one year of medical school, and thus for the subsequent three years one can pay in-state tuition. When I have looked this up online, both at medical school websites and New York's state website I have gotten conflicting information. The state in which i currently reside but do not have residency has very strict laws for acquiring residency and additionally, any year in which 50% of the time in-state was spent in any capacity as a student does not count towards the two years required to establish residency, is this not the case in New York?
-Roy

Members don't see this ad.

I was from out of state and go to medical school in NY. It was definitely possible to get residency after living in the state for a year and I now qualify for in state tuition. It's not terribly difficult to qualify as a NY state resident either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah so it is possible! By "not terribly difficult" what do you mean? What are the actual mechanics of it?
-Roy

Ah so it is possible! By "not terribly difficult" what do you mean? What are the actual mechanics of it?
-Roy

I have only talked to the people in the FinAid office at my school, so I don't know 100% if they're correct, but mostly in consists of doing everything a resident would do: have your car registered in NY, have a NY driver's license, be registered to vote in NY, file your taxes as a NY resident (that's about all I can think of).

whoo!! NYS rocks! :)

nogolf, is it enough to do one of the following from your list or must you do all?
-Roy