Acquiring research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetBurger

cowbell
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one ask a PI if they are willing to put students as co-authors on a paper when it comes time to publish? I know you can look at their previous publications to gauge if they do or don't but uhh is there any way to just ask the PI that isn't so blunt. IDK IM RAMBLING

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Dr X, just to make sure, I WILL be a co-author for my work, won't I?"
Are you being sarcastic or should you just politely and bluntly ask to be credited? (Apologizes for the ignorant question)

Are you being sarcastic or should you just politely and bluntly ask to be credited? (Apologizes for the ignorant question)
Seriously, this is something you should discuss before embarking on a project. It's not rude, it's an important part of any mentor-mentee relationship to clarify what expectations they have from you and what you expect to receive for the effort that you put into the project. To this day, when I discuss a potential project I try to clarify the plan for authorship early on. It saves a lot of butthurt down the road.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Ask directly. It’s tough. I usually tell students they’ll be a coauthor to reassure them. They for sure have to do work, it’s not a gimme. Another way to ask is “what kind of criteria do you use to make someone a co-author?”

Reactions: 1 users