ACS Exam for Orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently, our school has a standardized final. We've been doing entirely short-answer write-and-draw problems for Orgo 1, and now I'm looking at my syllabus for Orgo 2, and apparently this is up ahead. I know, I know, it's not the MCAT, so I'm not smothered in a smorgasbord of information, but all of the people who have taken this exam, do you have any recommendations about prep books for this? No, I will not use the prep book to forgo Orgo studying, but I am absolutely terrible at standardized exams without practice problems. E-cookies and e-<3 provided to helpers in advance ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently, our school has a standardized final. We've been doing entirely short-answer write-and-draw problems for Orgo 1, and now I'm looking at my syllabus for Orgo 2, and apparently this is up ahead. I know, I know, it's not the MCAT, so I'm not smothered in a smorgasbord of information, but all of the people who have taken this exam, do you have any recommendations about prep books for this? No, I will not use the prep book to forgo Orgo studying, but I am absolutely terrible at standardized exams without practice problems. E-cookies and e-<3 provided to helpers in advance ;)

Purchase Preparing for Your ACS Examination in Organic Chemistry, the Official Guide . Simply Google it for the best price. Having it will make life much, much better.

(P.S. Make sure to order it now at the beginning of the semester. There's always a rush at the end!!!)

I took the ACS for orgo before. To tell you the truth it was much more easier than my regular lecture exams. Most of the questions were very broad. They usually ask which reagent should u w/ a specific rxn... I don't know if there is a book to help w/ the test. But my advice to u is to go back n review the 1st orgo along w/ the new orgo materials and you'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah, I was looking for it on Amazon as an optional textbook for my Orgo class, but it's not there. I'll look on Google =3

ACS in general is fairly easy for both inorganic and organic. nothing tricky really.

I took it two years ago but because of all the hurricanes in FL we fell really behind in our lecture schedule. So for our class, there were a couple questions for which the corresponding reaction we never saw. But that was the weather's fault!
What I remember from the test, was a lot of reactions, some spec stuff, and an experimental section. But go to the ACS webpage and you can buy the study guide. Honestly, I think the ACS Thermo test for P-chem was the easiest of all and gen chem wasn't bad either. I have yet to take the ACS test for instrumental, but I will next semester.

As others have said, the ACS Organic exam is actually very simple. I think the most difficult part about it is the fact that you need to know which reagents cause which additions (i.e. Anti-Markov vs. Markov, etc.). You should know these anyways if you know the reactions. Other than that, nothing is particularly tricky about it.