ACS General Chemistry Standardized Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today my professor informed the class that our final exam would be the ACS General Chemistry Standardized Exam and would cover all 3 quarters of General Chemistry that we've had. I'm a bit nervous, none of us had any idea that we'd be tested over anything other than this quarter (we're on week 7 out of 10.) Does anyone know anything about this exam? Any good ideas on how to prepare?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the ACS gen chem final as my final for gen chem about 7 days ago. I had a pretty intensive chem 1 and 2 so I felt that I knew the material. I highly recommend buying the "Preparing for your final ACS examination" book that your bookstore probably has. That helped me quite a bit. The stuff from gen chem 1 is pretty fundamental but make sure you understand electrolytic/galvanic cells, acids/bases, equilibrium expressions from chem 2. The national average is a bit above a 50% so just do better than that. I studied for 2 days (like 18 hours a day) and somehow maintained my A in the class, but don't do that. If you have time before you take it just know everything inside and out, hopefully its all review for you.

ACS makes a book you can study from for it. It has sample questions and explains the answers for each one. I don't know the name so it could be the same one the other poster mentioned. It would definitely be on their website.
That's all I did to study for it, and I did fine, but take that with a grain of salt (different people need different study techniques and all).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the exam a few days ago. To be honest, the fact that the ACS exam is a nationally-standardized test more than makes up for the fact that it coves material from the whole year. Most professors curve the test since there are often questions on topics that some professors choose not to spend time on.