Act? Gre?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSainte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did a search on this topic and nothing came back. It's a question regarding acceptance to a post-bacc program, but I'm posting here because it's general and more people are reading here.

I'm graduating with my B.A. in June and want to get into a post-bacc program for next year. I know I have the capabilities and the intelligence, it's just that my GPA isn't reflecting that. I was thinking along the lines of a standardized test.

I'm 25 now, never took the ACT in high school (not sure why.) Anyway, which would be better, the ACT or something like the GRE? I do intend on taking more classes this summer, along with shadowing, volunteering, etc. and possibly paramedic school (I'm already an EMT) to boost my application on that front.

Any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance,

JSainte

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are a lot of formal SMP/Post-baccs for pre-meds that require the MCAT.

Check the post-bacc forums (scroll down on SDN forums) and check some medical school sites (I know Drexel and NYMC have formal SMPs). This all depends on your current GPA, if you're far off you're not going to be accepted into anything formal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need any tests to do a post bacc, especially an informal one. It's undergrad level classes that are in addition to the ones you took before your degree. You've already shown your qualification to take college classes.

Wylde's advice sounds good. There's a difference between the formal SMP programs and informal post bacc's.

Thank you for the advice.

I know there are different types of post-baccs. I wasn't intending on doing a SMP. My pre-med adviser suggested I do an undergrad program to help my GPA out.

I'm a non-science major so I'm obviously not going to take the MCAT until after post-bacc. I do realize I could just take the courses I need on my own, but if possible, I'd prefer a structured program.

I'll be graduating around the 3.1 mark, which sucks, so I was trying to find ways to up my chances.

I'll keep searching for some answers.

Hi all,

I did a search on this topic and nothing came back. It's a question regarding acceptance to a post-bacc program, but I'm posting here because it's general and more people are reading here.

I'm graduating with my B.A. in June and want to get into a post-bacc program for next year. I know I have the capabilities and the intelligence, it's just that my GPA isn't reflecting that. I was thinking along the lines of a standardized test.

I'm 25 now, never took the ACT in high school (not sure why.) Anyway, which would be better, the ACT or something like the GRE? I do intend on taking more classes this summer, along with shadowing, volunteering, etc. and possibly paramedic school (I'm already an EMT) to boost my application on that front.

Any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance,

JSainte

I would say the GRE is definitely preferrable to the ACT. The GRE is a lot like the SAT, it's shorter, and is almost universally accepted by most graduate programs (including the post-bac ones). The ACT is just a college entrance exam and I don't know of any graduate programs that accepts it in lieu of the GRE. The GRE's pretty easy to study for (compared to the ACT). Anyway, that's my two cents. Best of luck with everything.

I would say the GRE is definitely preferrable to the ACT. The GRE is a lot like the SAT, it's shorter, and is almost universally accepted by most graduate programs (including the post-bac ones). The ACT is just a college entrance exam and I don't know of any graduate programs that accepts it in lieu of the GRE. The GRE's pretty easy to study for (compared to the ACT). Anyway, that's my two cents. Best of luck with everything.

Thank you! I thought the ACT was kind of a ridiculous option, but when I was looking at programs, some of them listed ACT scores as optional for applications. I thought it was weird, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!