ACT/SAT Give me a break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen in a number of different topics that some of you are finding out you need your SAT/ or ACT scores. I found that out from the admissions dept. and was dismayed.

I took the ACT 16 years ago. They have changed the scoring since then so I had to send away for a report with my new score according to todays test.

My score still stinks. It is really bad!!! I asked the admit why they wanted that and she said they look at it and the MCAT as to whether the person has been consistant. Suppossedly they can predict success on the USML. Can you believe that?

If I haven't changed and gotten smarter in the last 16 years then I shouldn't even be applying. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

interesting. consistent how? what exactly were you told? now i'm a little anxious because i did very well on the ACT/SAT but only decent on the MCAT, and i don't want adcoms to think i'm becoming an idiot the older i get! :(

Originally posted by Amy Beth:
•I've seen in a number of different topics that some of you are finding out you need your SAT/ or ACT scores. I found that out from the admissions dept. and was dismayed.

I took the ACT 16 years ago. They have changed the scoring since then so I had to send away for a report with my new score according to todays test.

My score still stinks. It is really bad!!! I asked the admit why they wanted that and she said they look at it and the MCAT as to whether the person has been consistant. Suppossedly they can predict success on the USML. Can you believe that?

If I haven't changed and gotten smarter in the last 16 years then I shouldn't even be applying. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Word. I'm not too happy about that myslef. For example, University of Chicago I gather wants both. I think it would be unfair if this weighed any more than incidentally in our chance for admission. I can see that yeah, maybe they want to make sure that we are up to par and are likely to pass the boards making them look good, but I would say that the MCAT is just as valid for predicting the boards based on what I've read. College entrance exams (1)don't necessarily reflect our aptitude at this point in our lives and (2)may unfairly punish some of us who lacked work ethic and direction some 4 or more years ago. In short, I think this is more trouble than it's worth.

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
The Admission's person said, and I quote

"We on the committee use all tests you taken as an indicator of future performance in medical school. These tests can help us to determine if a candidate is able to test well and can therefore pass their USML. We like to see at least a 28 on the ACT (she only quoted ACT cause I never took the SAT). By doing well on the ACT/SAT and the MCAT shows us a consistant pattern of performance, which is something we like to see."

I can remember almost word for word what someone tells me so that is almost a direct quote from the person.

I'm not applying to this school, but I find it very unusual that they would want your high school test scores. What happens to the students that weren't great students in high school but got their but into gear in college and did well? I wonder what they're gonna do when they get a student that scores like a 500 on the SAT and 45 on the MCAT?

I've known several people that scored super high on the SAT's but crapped away their GPA and college experience, while, on the other side of it, my neighbor last year scored a 22 on the ACT (just barely made it into college), but he is top in his Mechanical Engineering class with almost a perfect GPA.

I think that since ACT and SAT are less based on the fundamental skills learned in high school and more innate, it shouldn't be a factor in determining whether you are going to pass medical school and do well on your boards. Granted, innate 'test taking ability' might be important, but when I see young jr. high students smash the ACT's and SAT's, it makes me like the test less. Let's see those jr. high kids take the MCAT.

Like I said, I'm not applying to this school, but that was just my two cents. Good luck to those that do apply to this school.

I called U of Chicago and told them that I had never taken the SAT or ACT because I was a Canadian (a lie, I did take the SAT but never studied for it cuz I didn't intend to go to undergrad in the US) and they told me to just leave it blank. Besides, they aren't requesting you to get the scores released to them by the collegeboard as one previous poster who applied to U of Chicago said, so in all likelihood they won't take these scores into serious consideration.

Personally, I kinda like the fact that some schools look at the SAT since I did pretty well. I had a pretty good track record with standardized tests with the PSATs, SATs, and SAT IIs but my MCATs weren't all that spectacular. I'm hoping at least some medical schools will take my entire test history into consideration.

This is ridiculous ****. I went to a school in the ghetto, grew up a very hard life... and didn't achieve any type of intellectual development until college. I baresly graduated High school with a 2.9, and had a 24 on the ACT... then retook it and got a 27. My GPA now in undergrad, at a decent school (Michigan State University) is a 3.8 as a double major (physiology and economics) and although I haven't taken the MCAT yet, i'm sure I'll get at least 30 (at least, i hope! ;)). For *ANY* school to look DOWN upon me because of a low ACT back in the day is reason for me NOT to want to attend their school. What is this USMLE passing rate ****? Freaking everyone in American Medical Schools pass that exam - it's not difficult... i mean, it's NOT easy, but... seeing how 99% of people pass it, I don't see why they're so anal about it.

I would think a substantial growth (i.e. me coming from a 2.9 from a **** high school and a 24-27 ACT) would be a GOOD thing.

I'm so pissed now

grr.

Good luck everyone

leon

I just transferred from a junior college to a state university and had to take the ACT a little over a month ago. I just recently recieved my score: a pathetic 27. In the last post about ACT scores it seemed like most of the premed community score a 30+. Did any of you make a score in the 20's and get accepted to med school????????? (I understand that the ACT probably isn't taken too seriously by adcoms, but this is a question of potential).

I think the fact that U of Chicago takes the SAT or ACT into concideration says tons about the character of the school. The impression I get is that they're a "numbers school". everyone knows numbers by themselves don't make an excellent doctor. I actually designated the school and later deleted it from my choices.

LIke others, I wasn't planning my medical career in junior high or high school, I wasn't involved in the Key Club or the debate team. I graduated with a 2.6 gpa from high school, and I'm not even sure why I even took the SAT since I didn't plan to attend college, but I did and I did miserably. Years removed from high school, I have a 3.58gpa in college, healthcare and non-healthcare experience, and although I didn't do too well on the VR, I did score within the 80-90 percentile on the sciences, a far cry removed from my 30 percentile in the math portion of the SAT.

Is U of Chicago the only school asking for SAT/ACT scores, or are others following suit? This sucks! I did horribly on my SAT, I got ~850, but I now have a good GPA, and know I can do well on the MCAT. I just won't apply to Pritzker, but if other schools are doing it, I am kind of stuck! Anyone know?

:mad: :mad: :(

In the ever competitive process, U Chicago may be (note: speculation begins here) trying to determine if you really did have poor work ethic a few years ago and have been on the up and up ever since (Smoke This).
Also, it can justify what the guy at MSU (kreno) has stated: an inadequate HS education that was not his fault.

There are better and better people applyin every year making it more difficult for them to select individuals. Do not curse them for at least trying, give suggestions. Even if I was not a fan of U of Chicago, I would defend this stance. That said, they are known to be a very interdisciplinary school. They are the school I've seen (note: not the ONLY one) that has a combined MD/Medicine, Arts and the Social Sciences program.
Their reputation of being the 'teacher of teachers' speaks proudly of their commitment to great educational programs.