ACT/SAT on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wetlightning

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i know that the TMDSAS asks for ACT/SAT scores, in case an applicant had a totally weird MCAT performance in comparison to his/her GPA and previous standardized test scores.

On AMCAS, there is a section for "other tests," but the examples listed are GRE/LSAT, etc. is it a good idea to put down ACT/SAT scores if they were good? do you think that helps the app at all?

reason i ask, is cause i have a feeling that my ACT/SAT percentiles were much better than my mcat ones :laugh:

tell me what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

i think that would be absolutely ridiculous. on one of my secondaries, however, i was required to record sat and act. don't remembver which school.

I don't think it would be ridiculous at all. It shows that you can perform well on standardized exams.

I don't think it would hurt. The worst is that it just wouldn't help.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! bump--did anyone else do this?

It is predominantly refering to tests like the GRE, GMAT, LSAT because those are needed for dual programs. I agree that while I don't think it will help, it won't hurt either.

SeattlePostBach said:
I don't think it would be ridiculous at all. It shows that you can perform well on standardized exams.

I don't think it would hurt. The worst is that it just wouldn't help.

I think it would be rediculous, I made a 20 on the ACT. I really don't think that that would help me at all...

Lordy, anyone who responds "that's ridiculous!" does so (probably) because they had poor SAT/ACT scores, and anyone who responds "that's not ridiculous at all!" (probably) had great scores.

If you had great scores, just go ahead and report it. As for me, I'm only reporting the MCAT. I don't feel the SAT means anything at all. That test is really quite a FARCE, in my opinion - and I'm saying that coming out of it with a 1400, so I wasn't exactly pissy about it because I got a low score or anything. I also feel the SAT scores at this point are very outdated, since they were taken what, 4+ years ago, so they don't strongly attest to anything now...

crazy_cavalier said:
Lordy, anyone who responds "that's ridiculous!" does so (probably) because they had poor SAT/ACT scores, and anyone who responds "that's not ridiculous at all!" (probably) had great scores.

If you had great scores, just go ahead and report it. As for me, I'm only reporting the MCAT. I don't feel the SAT means anything at all. That test is really quite a FARCE, in my opinion - and I'm saying that coming out of it with a 1400, so I wasn't exactly pissy about it because I got a low score or anything. I also feel the SAT scores at this point are very outdated, since they were taken what, 4+ years ago, so they don't strongly attest to anything now...

agreed! the only thing that made me think of this was that i was filling out the TMDSAS app, and they ask for both, so i wondered what the deal was.

i've heard it's b/c they want to gauge your general trend in standardized test taking. granted, many people step it up w/ the mcat and do much better on it than they did with the standardized tests. on my part, i had really good sat/act scores, so if i screw up the mcat i want them to know that i have done well on tests in the past :laugh:

Not on AMCAS, but on some secondaries. I know that Baylor asks for SAT scores.

i'll probably include my SAT scores because it's one way i can tell them that i'm good at other things like math. but my scores will mean nothing compared to my duke peers (average SAT = 1440).