Act/SAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Breno58

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's alot of talk about the MCAT on this forum. However, I think it would be neat to see how we did in high school on the ACT or SAT? Ill be honest, I made a 21 on the ACT :( but I didnt study or didnt care when I was in high school! How did you'll do?

Members don't see this ad.

Well.... I just so happened to score over 9000 on my SAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 26 on my ACT, never took the SAT. I also didn't really prepare/study for the ACT either. Definitely not going to do that with the MCAT though.

SAT/ACT scores are irrelevant once you're an undergraduate. MCAT scores are irrelevant once you're a medical student. USMLE scores are irrelevant once you're a doctor. It's best to ignore them when they're not relevant.

I never studied in high school and ended up with a 1700 on the SAT. If I still had the same study habits I did in high school (and thankfully I don't!), the MCAT estimator would be a better predictor. However, I plan on studying my ass off for the MCAT so I don't consider SAT scores to be a very good indicator of potential MCAT scores, especially not for me.

FWIW, the estimator yielded a 30-31...

I took the SAT in the 7th grade (for Summer program); but I highly doubt that score would be relevant to this thread. I'm also set to start college in January without re-taking them, nor do I plan to ever re-take the SAT. On that note, I really hope that SAT scores and high school GPA are not good predictors of MCAT scores, otherwise I'm really frickin screwed.

I took the SAT in the 7th grade (for Summer program); but I highly doubt that score would be relevant to this thread. I'm also set to start college in January without re-taking them, nor do I plan to ever re-take the SAT. On that note, I really hope that SAT scores and high school GPA are not good predictors of MCAT scores, otherwise I'm really frickin screwed.

Thats how im feeling :laugh: We'll get it done though

I took the SAT in the 7th grade (for Summer program); but I highly doubt that score would be relevant to this thread. I'm also set to start college in January without re-taking them, nor do I plan to ever re-take the SAT. On that note, I really hope that SAT scores and high school GPA are not good predictors of MCAT scores,otherwise I'm really frickin screwed.
They aren't.

Would you like the grades we got on our practice letter sheets in kindergarten as well?

Would you like the grades we got on our practice letter sheets in kindergarten as well?
I was a straight up gunner in kindergarten; while all my friends were out partying, I was in the library pre-studying shoe-tying and penmanship.

Members don't see this ad :)
1750 on SAT (No Prep)

34 on MCAT

Spread sheet predicts a 26 based on my SAT scores hah.

ACT/SAT bearing on your MCAT score = none

That's mean

It's honest. The only time I think you could find the sat or act a good predictor of MCAT scores is if a person took them 5 or 6 times and really studied because they were struggling to bring up a low grade to the bare minimum to get into college. With few exceptions, I think this would provide a good indicator of a low MCAT score.

I was a straight up gunner in kindergarten; while all my friends were out partying, I was in the library pre-studying shoe-tying and penmanship.

You shoulda hit those juice boxes a little harder. Bet you regret not partying in the sandbox now.

Whatever, bros, I was a freakin BOSS at legos in preschool. I'm pretty sure that correlates to a 35+ MCAT score.

I took them really early (typical middle school age, I guess) and wound up with a 33 on the ACT and 1280 on the SAT. I had an average of 12ish (higher on sciences) and an R for my MCAT...

There's alot of talk about the MCAT on this forum. However, I think it would be neat to see how we did in high school on the ACT or SAT? Ill be honest, I made a 21 on the ACT :( but I didnt study or didnt care when I was in high school! How did you'll do?

1480 on the SAT (out of 1600), and I believe it was a 33 on the ACT (why, yes, I took both tests).

I'm pretty sure it was my 4.68 GPA that got me into college...

Kindergarten GPA: 3.8 (missed the cutoff for an A in shoe-tying class by one point! GAAHHH. Had to use velcro strap shoes ever since)
Kindergarten sGPA: 4.0
SAT: 2170
ACT: 32
MCAT: 39

I believe there is a strong correlation here, especially with my kindergarten GPA.

I had a decent SAT score (1960) but it doesn't correlate with anything I've done in college so far. I had a friend who got a 1450/2400 on the SAT and a 36 on the MCAT so it doesn't really matter.....

Just deduce the fundamentals of Algebra 2 on the spot from axioms ;)

They aren't.

How do you know this? What do you think the correlation coefficient is?

==
38% of the people who voted on the apuimc poll said the spreadsheet predicted their MCAT within 1 point. I am also in that group.

How do you know this? What do you think the correlation coefficient is?

==
38% of the people who voted on the apuimc poll said the spreadsheet predicted their MCAT within 1 point. I am also in that group.
The predictor isn't accurate for 62% of people.

As I said in my previous post, the predictor doesn't work for those individuals who did not study for the SAT/ACT.

I got a 1340 on my SAT and a 27/29 on my MCAT. Didnt study for either with the exception of a bit on the MCAT.

There are too many variables..

The ACT/SAT and MCAT have different questions (obviously) and test different skills; for example, the ACT is based quite a bit on time management. I can't say anything for the MCAT because I haven't taken it yet, but I'm sure it's not as much time management. People that take both tests probably study more for the MCAT.

One can grow quite a bit in 4 years of undergraduate study.. I'm sure people will mature and realize that they need to sit down and study hard, and it's probably going to change their scores for the better.

I used the ACT/SAT to MCAT calculator (ACT=34, SAT=2190) and got 39, which honestly seems a bit high.. I'd be very happy if I got that score. :D

1840 (out of 2400) on the SAT - didn't really know it helps to study for this thing. I thought it just tested your "smarts".

35 on the MCAT.

1840 (out of 2400) on the SAT - didn't really know it helps to study for this thing. I thought it just tested your "smarts".

35 on the MCAT.

SAT tests your smarts.

MCAT tests your diligence.

SAT tests your smarts.

But I think you can prep for the SAT (like any standardized test), especially for the writing and math sections. I went from a 580 (77th percentile) to 790 (99th percentile) on the writing section after diligently practicing and figuring out the underlying patterns.

SAT tests your smarts.

like the above post, I'm gonna have to disagree. I know plenty of people who significantly improved after actually preping for it.

My cousin, for instance, didn't study and got an 1880 the first time around. She scored a 2000 something after hiring a tutor.

ACT: 31
SAT: 2100 (or 1410 / 1600)
MCAT: Pending (two days!)

Didn't study for the ACT/SAT.

Though different, at the end of the day they are all standardized tests. My high school seemed to prepare me for SAT/ACT style questions.

On my first practice MCAT I scored a 25, but after a few weeks of studying I was up 7+ points. My improvement seemed to come primarily from getting used to reading the questions more carefully and knowing how to approach the problems. And prayer. Lots of prayer.

Of course all of this is meaningless without my official MCAT.

OP, just learn as much as you can in college and prepare for the MCAT (I guess there are classes people can take these days). For me, the MCAT seemed more like the ACT (mostly knowledge-based) than the SAT (not sure what the new 2400 one is like--took it about a decade before it changed). If you know your stuff, you'll be fine :)

Yeah that's just wrong.

I didn't study one minute for my SAT/ACT.

I certainly had to study for the MCAT. :rolleyes:

I suppose you could study for a test that's basic mathematics and reading/verbal...

The predictor isn't accurate for 62% of people.

As I said in my previous post, the predictor doesn't work for those individuals who did not study for the SAT/ACT.

As I recall, it was within 3 pts for 80% of people. It was about as accurate as the AAMC practice exams. I'd say that's pretty good for data that is, on average, 4 years old at the time the MCAT is taken.