ACT Scores in High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BkR134923

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what some of your ACT scores were in high school that got into dental school. Just trying to get a rough idea because that is really the only test that I can compare to with any of you. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter in my opinion. College (undergrad) is mainly about work ethic. I had low SATs and a really high GPA in undergrad. To me, it will help if you do well on the ACT. But the only thing standing in anyone's way is usually a lot of hard work.

I agree, it really doesn't matter. But I made a 24 on my ACT ( pretty low) and I made a 20 on my DAT. For the DAT I studdied extremely hard for an entire summer tho because I knew I wasn't great at standardized tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Way back in 1989, I got a 17 on the ACT the first time and a 21 the second time. I got a 1090 on the SAT (360 verbal and 730 math). Even with those scores, I managed to have an overall GPA of 3.85 and science GPA of 3.95 in undergrad and DAT scores ranging from 21 to 23.

How well you do on the SAT/ACT doesn't reflect how you compare to someone else. As someone else stated, work ethics in undergrad may change which allows someone to go from an average student to one who can compete with the best of them.

ACT I received a 19 the first time and a 21 the second time around. After being in college for a few years I realized that I SHOULD have tried more in high school, however I didn't. I just wanted to have fun and see my friends, but there's not a whole lot I can do now. Its hard to compare the two though, in high school all I had to do was show up and try for like 30 minutes a day and A's came rollin' in. College I thought it would be the same, got smacked in the face when I got a C in my first bio class. For me, to do well in college courses I have to spend a good amount of time towards my studies since I don't have an abnormal learning ability.

ACT I received a 19 the first time and a 21 the second time around. After being in college for a few years I realized that I SHOULD have tried more in high school, however I didn't. I just wanted to have fun and see my friends, but there's not a whole lot I can do now. Its hard to compare the two though, in high school all I had to do was show up and try for like 30 minutes a day and A's came rollin' in. College I thought it would be the same, got smacked in the face when I got a C in my first bio class. For me, to do well in college courses I have to spend a good amount of time towards my studies since I don't have an abnormal learning ability.

The get ready to be kicked and stomped in the face if you get into dental school. If you think undergrad science courses are more intense, get ready to have 20-25 credits of that per semester in d-school.

ACT is only good to get into and get scholarships for undergrad. It's pretty different than the DAT. A lot of people don't study for the ACT/SAT and get into good schools. Anyone who doesn't study for the DAT probably doesn't get into dental school. Don't stress out about it.

Anyone who doesn't study for the DAT probably doesn't get into dental school.

I disagree. You can do decently and get into d-school without prepping for the DAT. The first time I applied for d-school back in 1995, I took the DAT and got a 20 AA without studying. Can't remember what I got on the PAT. Point is - you can do just fine without studying and get into d-school. I was accepted into quite a few schools. How well you do depends on how well you understood the material when you took the courses in undergrad.

I disagree. You can do decently and get into d-school without prepping for the DAT. The first time I applied for d-school back in 1995, I took the DAT and got a 20 AA without studying. Can't remember what I got on the PAT. Point is - you can do just fine without studying and get into d-school. I was accepted into quite a few schools. How well you do depends on how well you understood the material when you took the courses in undergrad.

20 AA without studying? Wow. I wish I could do that haha :D

20 AA without studying? Wow. I wish I could do that haha :D

I attributed that to the education I received in undergrad. My memory stinks, but I felt back in 1995 that they way they taught us the material, enough of the info stuck with me to do well on the DAT. By no means do I do well on standardized tests usually. Other than the DAT, I have sucked at taking them including the SAT, ACT, my undergrads outgoing evaluation exam and the NBDE part 1.

When I'm looking for a new dentist, I always want to know what ACT score they had in H.S.

16 on ACT... 27 AA on DAT

Last edited: