Active Duty Officer to Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xxticy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently an active duty officer in the USAF with a little over 6yrs time in service. I am currently a rated officer and love my job but have been considering trying to apply to a dental school and staying in to finish up my 20 years. Just trying to get a good idea of what programs the USAF may offer for Active Duty officers to get accepted to dental school. I have a Biology Degree and have taken the DAT but it has been approx. 8yrs since then. Are there any programs that offer Dental School spots to AD members? I am aware I will have to take the DAT again, but any advice or directions you could point me would be greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am currently an active duty officer in the USAF with a little over 6yrs time in service. I am currently a rated officer and love my job but have been considering trying to apply to a dental school and staying in to finish up my 20 years. Just trying to get a good idea of what programs the USAF may offer for Active Duty officers to get accepted to dental school. I have a Biology Degree and have taken the DAT but it has been approx. 8yrs since then. Are there any programs that offer Dental School spots to AD members? I am aware I will have to take the DAT again, but any advice or directions you could point me would be greatly appreciated...

There aren't any "programs" that will get an AD member into dental school. You pretty much have to apply in the same way everyone else does. I'm assuming you'll shoot for the HPSP considering you want to finish up 20 yrs in the AF. Basically, as you said, it's a matter of taking the DAT, making sure you match up numerically, and just take it from there. If you don't mind me asking...what made you decide to apply to dental school after 6 yrs as an AD officer?

There aren't any "programs" that will get an AD member into dental school. You pretty much have to apply in the same way everyone else does. I'm assuming you'll shoot for the HPSP considering you want to finish up 20 yrs in the AF. Basically, as you said, it's a matter of taking the DAT, making sure you match up numerically, and just take it from there. If you don't mind me asking...what made you decide to apply to dental school after 6 yrs as an AD officer?

Basically, the navigator career field I am in is slowly fading out in the AF and I have always had the desire to become a dentist. I actually have a Biology Degree and took the DAT back in 2000. I love the military and want to finish out my 20yrs and I think this would be a great way to do it. I need to get a good refresher on all the material and retake the DAT some time soon if this is what I decide to do. What is typically a decent DAT score for admission these days? I think I got a 19 back in 00. Hopefully a similar score, time on AD as a rated officer will help gain acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
a 19 is still a good enough score to get you into school, I dont know if they'll take one from '00 though. I think the scores can't be older than 3 yrs if I remember right.

a 19 is still a good enough score to get you into school, I dont know if they'll take one from '00 though. I think the scores can't be older than 3 yrs if I remember right.

19 is barely good enough anymore depending on your UG GPA, shoot for >21.

Semper Fi

I'll throw this out there....if you're not dead set on staying AF and would rather have time in dental school count toward your 20 years (as well as getting paid as a senior enlisted member even though you've already done time as a commissioned officer), check out the HSCP program the navy has to offer...hard to beat if you're looking at a dental school that cost around 100K or less.

Retaking the DAT is obviously a must because those scores are too old. From what I have heard from admissions officers and my undergrad advisor who I keep in touch with (who is on the committee that writes DAT materials), if an applicant has spent a considerable time out of school, their application is going to appear uncompetitive unless they take a year of classes before applying to show they still have it in terms of academic discipline. That is certainly something to call some schools and ask about.

Have you really looked at the Dental Profession these days? Especially in the military, where you will be subservient to Medical Doctors? An excellent Medical School (USUHS) is available that will preserve your military service investment and provide you with a career that will make you one of the "top dogs".

You know how navigators are looked down upon by the real aviators -- do you really want to perpetuate that "Little Me - Big You" scenario by becoming a Dentist?

someone might have a bit of an inferiority complex about being a dentist...

Herk

In the military, dentists are not "subservient" to the MD's, they have their own corps. Med docs run the medical/dental end but it's not as bad as you put it. Besides, Navs are OK guys--didn't you watch Top Gun??

Xxticy,

Most of the advice here is good.

I have a friend who was almost in the identical situation as you. He is a C-130 nav and just pinned-on Major. He starts dental school in AUG on a 4-year AF HPSP.

You will have to:
1) Re-take the DAT.
2) Check the pre-reqs for any schools that you wish to attend to ensure you have all of them complete. With a bio degree, you will likely have most schools covered. You only need to have pre-reqs complete by the time you start school, not for the application.
3) Contact your AF health careers recruiter to get the process/application going.
4) Figure out how/what/when you need to inform your chain of command. This can be a tricky step - every chain is different.

Good luck,
spc213

Have you really looked at the Dental Profession these days? Especially in the military, where you will be subservient to Medical Doctors? An excellent Medical School (USUHS) is available that will preserve your military service investment and provide you with a career that will make you one of the "top dogs".

You know how navigators are looked down upon by the real aviators -- do you really want to perpetuate that "Little Me - Big You" scenario by becoming a Dentist?
Big deal. Keep going up the chain of command and you'll find a rock star physician whose boss is an infantry grunt, and if you keep going, the infantry grunt's boss right now is somebody who spent Vietnam taking pleasure cruises around the Gulf of Mexico in his F-4. Your argument doesn't stand up .

Big deal. Keep going up the chain of command and you'll find a rock star physician whose boss is an infantry grunt, and if you keep going, the infantry grunt's boss right now is somebody who spent Vietnam taking pleasure cruises around the Gulf of Mexico in his F-4. Your argument doesn't stand up .

Great point... and better avatar. Nice.