Active duty or reservist in the Navy and denied a medical waiver for HPSP/HSCP? READ THIS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMCUSN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize I am addressing a small community here but if this new policy change helps one of my fellow sailors, I will be worth it to me.

BLUF:

Active Duty or SELRES sailors can now be considered under "retention standards" for programs like HSCP/HPSP instead of more stringent "new accession" standards, because of efforts to change the Manual of the Medical Department (MANMED) policy in the wake of Senior Chief Kent's death (see Stripes article below). I have attached the policy changes to MANMED 15-31 if you would like to read and pursue a waiver with your recruiter.

Article on CTICS Kent's Death:
Family of fallen Navy linguist keeps up DOD rule change fight as she continues to receive honors

There is a lot of uncertainty out there for us with the changes coming with the DHA, and whether taking HPSP/HSCP is a wise decision at the moment, but you should all at least have the opportunity to continue serving your country as a Navy staff corps officer, like Senior Chief Kent should have.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 15 Feb 2019 - MANMED Change 167 (Revises Chapter 15, articles 15-20 thro....pdf
    166.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 15 Feb 2019 - MANMED Change 167 (Revises Chapter 15, articles 15-20 thro....pdf
    166.7 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: 1 users
@Mad Jack , this might be relevant to you
Thanks for the heads up.

Given my health issues, it seems that it would make the most sense for me to attempt to sign on after treatment, as I've got a couple of other things that will need waivers because evidently I'm just a mess (it's benign stuff but each waiver is a process). Makes more sense financially as well, not that I am doing this for the money- a lot of people in my generation never came back from overseas and I was never able to serve because of since resolved health issues. Once I have the chance, I want to have the honor and privilege to do so, but it's looking like now is not going to happen.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good info. I'm not Navy but I wonder if this might be why my waiver was granted.

Lets hope the other branches follow suit. There is a lot of congressional pressure regarding this at the moment, but the Navy's policy changes to the MANMED are so new that they are not being communicated very well to the recruiting districts yet.