• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Active Duty PA to MD

SCHMITTIE120

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Looking for some insight on things to improve to be accepted to a MD/DO program

I am a active duty physician assistant (6 years of service) looking to apply to Medical school in the next 2 years (due to military commitments)

I have a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA. My PA school GPA was a 3.5. I have an old MCAT of 29 so I expect with some solid studying I could be in the same ballpark. I have 2 published articles and have presented case studies and a reasearch project at several military medicine symposiums. I have several hundred hours of volunteer work.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help

Medic2MD4me

10+ Year Member
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Pre-Medical
      I don't have much to offer since you have a pretty good game plan, but fellow PA applying MD this cycle and just wanted to say good luck. Your gpa is a bit low so could take a couple courses to show recent coursework/motivation and bump the gpa a bit.
      Also have you looked into lecom's pathway?

About the Ads

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
      May 29, 2017
      1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
        Looking for some insight on things to improve to be accepted to a MD/DO program

I am a active duty physician assistant (6 years of service) looking to apply to Medical school in the next 2 years (due to military commitments)

I have a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA. My PA school GPA was a 3.5. I have an old MCAT of 29 so I expect with some solid studying I could be in the same ballpark. I have 2 published articles and have presented case studies and a reasearch project at several military medicine symposiums. I have several hundred hours of volunteer work.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help

Thanks for your service!

Your GPAs aren't awful, but if you could take a few upper division science classes part time before your apply in two years that would help. MCAT is the biggest thing now. 29 is fine for DO with your stats but shoot for as high as you can!

You could apply USUHS if you want to get your 20, but anywhere you apply, your military background will be a big plus.

Good luck OP.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.