Army Active-Duty Time during training and IRR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any of the time on active duty during internship, residency, or fellowship count towards the 4 year post-ADSO IRR obligation? Or, does the 8 year clock not start until you report to your first utilization assignment?

Members don't see this ad.

According to Enclosure 3 (page 22) of the most current version of the DoDI 6000.13: "Time spent on AD in military GPE may be credited toward satisfying the RC MSO".

In doctor terms, they should allow for the reserve (RC) to be paid back while in GME (GPE) in order to satisfy the mandatory service obligation of what is usually four years. But remember, it's the Army...

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this will necro this thread, but I just spoke with someone who got out in the past 2-3 months about this very matter. They were told that their time in residency and fellowship does NOT count towards their 8-year MSO and they got out with a 3.5 year IRR obligation.

Did they train at a civilian hospital? If they did residency in the military, those years absolutely count towards IRR obligation. They should have had that fixed prior to separating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I had a friend get out this summer. Only had a year left on IRR. Did residency and 4 year payback in the military and that was it.

Did they train at a civilian hospital? If they did residency in the military, those years absolutely count towards IRR obligation. They should have had that fixed prior to separating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Nope, trained at the same MTF as I. I suspect this person got screwed. I didn’t have the heart to show her what DoDI 6000.13 says.