Quantcast

Activities to do till MCAT score and AMCAS is verified??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmed1986

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey everyone,
I am wondering if I should shadow another doctor or increase my volunteering hours at hospital etc, since I have nothing else to do but wait. I recently submitted my AMCAS; and am also waiting for my Aug 21, 09 MCAT score. My ECs include a shadowing exp. (25 hours), hospital volunteering (50 hours), and a summer research. My stats are good with 3.80 GPA, and hopefully a 30 on MCAT. Do you think my clinical exposure is extensive enough to be convincing for med schools or should I do more ECs (mentioned earlier) in the mean time to further furnish my application. Advice would be really appreciated. :thumbup:

TopSecret

Removed
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am wondering if I should shadow another doctor or increase my volunteering hours at hospital etc, since I have nothing else to do but wait. I recently submitted my AMCAS; and am also waiting for my Aug 21, 09 MCAT score. My ECs include a shadowing exp. (25 hours), hospital volunteering (50 hours), and a summer research. My stats are good with 3.80 GPA, and hopefully a 30 on MCAT. Do you think my clinical exposure is extensive enough to be convincing for med schools or should I do more ECs (mentioned earlier) in the mean time to further furnish my application. Advice would be really appreciated. :thumbup:

Yes, I think that's fine. I would spend the rest of the time studying abroad if the option exists. You won't have very many opportunities to do something like that after graduation.

pmed1986

Reaction score
Yes, I think that's fine. I would spend the rest of the time studying abroad if the option exists. You won't have very many opportunities to do something like that after graduation.

My main concerned is if my clincal exposure is good enough to prove my motivation for medicine??? How can I study abroad in 20 days?? I would certainly want to do that after getting med school acceptance but till then I have my fingers crossed!

thanks

TopSecret

Removed
Reaction score
My main concerned is if my clincal exposure is good enough to prove my motivation for medicine??? Are you being sarcastic?!! to say study abroad for 20 days??
thanks

I think it's enough hours. Medical students decide what they want to specialize in probably less time.

Regarding studying abroad, some schools offer away electives abroad.

w8ting2exhale

what a journey...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I think your clinical experience is alright, but more certainly can't hurt. Unless you can do something else like research, community service, etc. If you're not in school, secondaries (and interviewers) are going to ask how you're spending your time. Almost EVERY single secondary asked that so be prepared. Also, you may want to spend time drafting secondaries now since all the prompts are available. Good luck!

pmed1986

Reaction score
Guys thank you for advice. I am certainly getting more clinical exposure. Also w8ting thank you for the heads up on the secondary prompts. Great way to make use of my time. I have one more question?

Is one commitee LOR and one good LOR from a doctor enough?

thanks

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recommend getting on Hulu and watching the entire run of one of the fine shows that Fox canceled. My personal favorites are Arrested Development & Firefly, (oh, and Family Guy, sort of). That's my favorite EC anyway.

Trexate

Competitive Inhibitor
Reaction score
I recommend getting on Hulu and watching the entire run of one of the fine shows that Fox canceled. My personal favorites are Arrested Development & Firefly, (oh, and Family Guy, sort of). That's my favorite EC anyway.
:thumbup::thumbup: for AD

Aromatic Amine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
beat every single video game out for the ps3 and xbox 360..

that should hold you over, and if not, just start watching every single T.V. show from the moment you wake up till the moment you fall asleep :nod: