sciencebooks

7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2009
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
As a more "silent reader" at the beginning of the year, I took some advice (indirectly given to me) to stop looking at these boards until it nears application time... But rounding near the end of my freshman year, I just had a quick question (more of a "self-evaluation," than anything, I guess).

I definitely don't think my experience is lacking... Volunteer-wise, I have almost a school year of (clinical) experience at a Cancer Institute done, a season (and soon started the second season) of coordinating and coaching a cheerleading portion of my church's sports' program (leadership there as well?), an alternative spring break (local, but nonetheless), and some miscellaneous one-day stints. So I think that's AT LEAST okay for now.

I also work three jobs (babysitting, tutoring, and paid coaching through the team I was previously on).

First semester grades were perfect (though this semester doesn't appear to be as "flawless," it definitely won't be anything unredeemable if that's even a word?).

So I guess I'm wondering if I am on the right track? I guess I'm wondering if not being a part of any clubs/organizations will hurt me (as I just haven't had the time)?

Thanks for any feedback.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
You don't need to join any clubs. You are engaged in coaching, tutoring, clinical activity that combine to demonstrate your outside interests beyond academics and your altruism and service to community. If you are coaching young kids I wouldn't call it leadership but "volunteer, non-clinical". If you were the captain of a cheerleading group of people similar in age/status to yourself then that could be called leadership.

TexasPhysician

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
You don't need to join any clubs. You are engaged in coaching, tutoring, clinical activity that combine to demonstrate your outside interests beyond academics and your altruism and service to community. If you are coaching young kids I wouldn't call it leadership but "volunteer, non-clinical". If you were the captain of a cheerleading group of people similar in age/status to yourself then that could be called leadership.
:thumbup:

sciencebooks

7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2009
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
I brought forth the idea of starting a cheerleading program within the already established sports program and ended up coordinating the entire thing (divided girls onto teams, assigned coaches, made agendas, routines, etc.) so I guess that's more or less what I was considering leadership? Is this correct?

Dr Pennypacker

Removed
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Podiatrist
As a more "silent reader" at the beginning of the year, I took some advice (indirectly given to me) to stop looking at these boards until it nears application time... But rounding near the end of my freshman year, I just had a quick question (more of a "self-evaluation," than anything, I guess).

I definitely don't think my experience is lacking... Volunteer-wise, I have almost a school year of (clinical) experience at a Cancer Institute done, a season (and soon started the second season) of coordinating and coaching a cheerleading portion of my church's sports' program (leadership there as well?), an alternative spring break (local, but nonetheless), and some miscellaneous one-day stints. So I think that's AT LEAST okay for now.

I also work three jobs (babysitting, tutoring, and paid coaching through the team I was previously on).

First semester grades were perfect (though this semester doesn't appear to be as "flawless," it definitely won't be anything unredeemable if that's even a word?).

So I guess I'm wondering if I am on the right track? I guess I'm wondering if not being a part of any clubs/organizations will hurt me (as I just haven't had the time)?

Thanks for any feedback.
Your situation sounds very similar to mine back in the day. I'm guessing you'll be fine.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I brought forth the idea of starting a cheerleading program within the already established sports program and ended up coordinating the entire thing (divided girls onto teams, assigned coaches, made agendas, routines, etc.) so I guess that's more or less what I was considering leadership? Is this correct?
Absolutely! This is more of a leadership item than serving as vice president of the chemistry club.