Actual chances of getting that GI/Cards Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucla2usc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where you can find stats which say what % of IM Residents from a particular program applying into GI or Cards actually get the fellowship.
It seems harder to get these fellowships than it was to get into med school judging by the "4 spots for 400 applicants" quotes, but that doesn't really estimate how good your chance really is considering the same 400 people apply everywhere.

What I'm most curious about is where are the IM programs that has everyone who wants GI or Cards actaully getting it (besides Harvard and Hopkins)

I'm in Cali, and want to stay in Cali...do the big programs here give me a solid chance of getting into GI/Cards? i.e. if I went to UCLA/Stanford/UCSD/UCSF, will it be fairly easy to get the fellowship, or as impossible as these 4 for 400 quotes make it out to be?

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to find this out is to ask the program director when you interview at the program. It is an important question because your competitors for fellowship are very much your co-residents because your crendentials are likely to be similar coming from the same residency.

There was a on-going thread about UCLA and fellowships in the past. Do a search for it.

You will not have a problem getting into a GI or cards fellowship spot from any of the residency programs you mentioned. Now, if you want to narrow your criteria, and say that you want to do your fellowship in CA, then it will be more difficult, since there are not many fellowship positions available in the state. That said, everyone I know from Stanford and UCSF who has applied in GI or Cards has been able to secure a fellowship position in the city that they want to live. I don't know if that's also true for UCLA or UCSD, since I don't know many people there. Overall, though, it's fairly easy to secure a fellowship from these programs.

You should ask a fellowship program director or a resident at the particular institution you are interested. It seems to be harder than cardiology but it's very 'do-able.' I know many of GI placements at East Coast IM programs (and some of West). I may know it.

GI is definitively very rewarding and lucrative (great!!) compared to other IM subspecialities. Its hours are much flexiable than what cardiologists have.
Getting into GI is definitively do-able for everyone, especially if you are a U.S. medical school graduates and are at a decent IM program. Don't be discouraged becuase of what other people said about GI competiveness. They are just trying to scare you away from the applicant pool. If you like the filed, you should go for it. As a matter of fact, many of my friends I know have applied and got into GI.

June
PGY-1 and two and half more years before GI fellowship..