Actual MCAT: Calculations vs. Concept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marjan Islam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in KAPLAN, and I notice there are a fair deal of calculation questions. I'll be taking more Full Length's and AAMC's soon, but I just wanted a heads up. I suck at calculations, especially when I round off stuff. I feel like I round too much, or something, it just sucks. :confused:

Is the actual MCAT fairly equal in calculations that KAPLAN is? I'd say Kaplan's some 70% concept, 30% calculations. That's just from the top of my head, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I found the actual MCAT and the AAMC practice MCATs to barely have any calculations. During the actual test, I only used a couple equations for some rough calculations involving heavy rounding. Other than that, there wasn't much at all. It was mainly concept based.

Edit: I should add that I took the test a year ago.

I think that there is some calculation...But then again i explained in another thread what happened to me during my last actual MCAT experience and feel that the general rule of thumb about the PS questions is quite right....which is that if you end up calculating something for too long then you're doing it the wrong way...There shouldn't be too many calculations and your conceptual knowledge should be able to help you in answering the questions...Of course the concepts should be rock solid...

yeah I found the real MCAT not too much calculation-heavy. Of course there were some calculations, but nothing like TPR PS exams.