• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Actual MCAT: Calculations vs. Concept

Marjan Islam

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
So I'm in KAPLAN, and I notice there are a fair deal of calculation questions. I'll be taking more Full Length's and AAMC's soon, but I just wanted a heads up. I suck at calculations, especially when I round off stuff. I feel like I round too much, or something, it just sucks. :confused:

Is the actual MCAT fairly equal in calculations that KAPLAN is? I'd say Kaplan's some 70% concept, 30% calculations. That's just from the top of my head, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I found the actual MCAT and the AAMC practice MCATs to barely have any calculations. During the actual test, I only used a couple equations for some rough calculations involving heavy rounding. Other than that, there wasn't much at all. It was mainly concept based.

Edit: I should add that I took the test a year ago.

silverlion

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2008
New York, NY
  1. Pre-Medical
I think that there is some calculation...But then again i explained in another thread what happened to me during my last actual MCAT experience and feel that the general rule of thumb about the PS questions is quite right....which is that if you end up calculating something for too long then you're doing it the wrong way...There shouldn't be too many calculations and your conceptual knowledge should be able to help you in answering the questions...Of course the concepts should be rock solid...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.