ADAT - Advanced Dental Admission Test - ADAT - Residency Preparation/experience/score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Like to Move it Move it

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like everyone to who wants to prepare for ADAT to participate in this forum I will update soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 12.10.57 PM.png

I prepared for the exam for 2 months as I had no option but to improve my resume to get competitive enough for residency programs by Gods grace it turned out ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
I prepared for about 2.5 months, although had a new baby at the time so couldn't study as much as I wanted. Studied by going over NBDE part 1 & 2 dental decks. I thought the Clinical Sciences section was really straight forward and pretty easy, but I attribute that to being out of school and practicing for several years. Just my thoughts.

The percentages changed as more people took the exam. I put the ADAT score in parentheses, however these numbers don't really mean much at this point since the exam is so new.

ADAT overall: 94 (610)
Critical Thinking: 94 (630)
Biomedical Sciences: 81 (580)
Clinical Sciences: 99 (730)
Data, Research Interpretation, & Evidence Based Dentistry: 67 (540)
Patient Management: 74 (550)

I don't know how any of this information helps others, but I thought I'd contribute.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey BigTurk your score is excellent. I am impressed with your skills especially in clinical sciences, data research and patient management.
This information will be very useful for students who wish to prepare for this exam as it will give them an insight into this relatively new exam format and the preparation strategies.
I understand the dilemma of the graduates who intend to pursue their career further and face new challenges thought this forum may help them to understand it from various tips, strategies and manner of looking at the exam.

Most of the test takers will have used the same materials or books. I used dental decks for basic and clinical sciences, ASDA released tests, Mosby for part 2. For patient management I did not have sufficient time but the ADAT website has reference books and one link provides good information about the patient management and ethics. For statistics I had no idea where to study from so just did decks but would recommend finding a mentor in the school. I would say the last two topics had 30 questions each but the weightage is low so don't waste too much time on those topics as it will not change the percentile by a huge margin per se (at least in the first few years the exam is conducted).

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't prepare much at all. Looked over some part 1 stuff then felt like it was a lost cause. You can waste months trying to touch up on stuff.l and see hardly any of what you "thought was important" on the actual exam. It's a very short exam in comparison to part 1 and 2, almost impossible to know what they will ask. The best advice is to take it as soon after part 2 as possible so that it's fresh. As for part 1 material... I winged it. I still did really well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Most of the test takers will have used the same materials or books. I used dental decks for basic and clinical sciences, ASDA released tests, Mosby for part 2. For patient management I did not have sufficient time but the ADAT website has reference books and one link provides good information about the patient management and ethics. For statistics I had no idea where to study from so just did decks but would recommend finding a mentor in the school. I would say the last two topics had 30 questions each but the weightage is low so don't waste too much time on those topics as it will not change the percentile by a huge margin per se (at least in the first few years the exam is conducted).
pls did you go through every card details in dental decks or just the general guidelines ??

I prepared for about 2.5 months, although had a new baby at the time so couldn't study as much as I wanted. Studied by going over NBDE part 1 & 2 dental decks. I thought the Clinical Sciences section was really straight forward and pretty easy, but I attribute that to being out of school and practicing for several years. Just my thoughts.

The percentages changed as more people took the exam. I put the ADAT score in parentheses, however these numbers don't really mean much at this point since the exam is so new.

ADAT overall: 94 (610)
Critical Thinking: 94 (630)
Biomedical Sciences: 81 (580)
Clinical Sciences: 99 (730)
Data, Research Interpretation, & Evidence Based Dentistry: 67 (540)
Patient Management: 74 (550)

I don't know how any of this information helps others, but I thought I'd contribute.
pls did you go through every deials in dental decks or only general info ?/

The percentages changed as more people took the exam.
How much did the percentages change? Was it a huge swing and in which direction did they move? I took the ADAT recently and am just curious if the preliminary percentile in June is going to be anywhere near the final percentile/score. Thanks.

Big Hoss

How much did the percentages change? Was it a huge swing and in which direction did they move? I took the ADAT recently and am just curious if the preliminary percentile in June is going to be anywhere near the final percentile/score. Thanks.

Big Hoss
Not all that much, but my % went down a few points as more people took it. I assume your percentile is from this exam cycle only?

Yeah, pretty dumb. How did it go?
I think it went pretty well; rather, I hope it went well. There were definitely a few "Where the heck did they pull this from?" questions. Because it is such a short exam, given all of the subject matter it covers, it was frustrating to have spent a bunch of time reviewing material in depth that wasn't even secondarily asked about in a question. I'll just continue to stew over it until June 15th.

Big Hoss